• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Apartment Flooded

Termato

Board of Directors
I know, I'm such a tease with a title like that. Here is what happened though.

I got home and there was an ambulance and a firetruck outside of my apartment building. I was thinking to myself, I hope everyone is alright. When I walked into the building it all seems normal. I go to wait for the elevator and out comes a stretcher with a younger woman on it, firefighters and EMTs. She seemed to be ok. I got upstairs and everything looked normal and nothing was out of place. I live on the top floor. 5 minutes go by and all of the sudden the fire alarm to the building is going off. I mean this thing is loud. I walk out into the hallway to this:

2016-02-13.jpg

This is on the 9th floor of an apartment building! Seriously, this is my worst nightmare because I have tanks up here (of my tanks flooding the place, that is). The water is moving closer and closer to my apartment so I go inside to shut off everything electrical. I block the door with blankets and towels to it doesn't flood my apartment.

Later on, after going up and down the stairs because the elevators were off...multiple times...9 floors yay, we found out one of the main pipes to the building broke. This was well over a few hundred gallons. It spilled down to the 2nd floor. The 8th floor under us looked like it was raining indoors. I ran back up stairs to check if the water had come further and into my apartment but I was SO lucky. It stopped about 7 feet from my front door. In the picture below, that's the view from my door and you can see the arrow showing where it stopped. NUTS!

So I didn't get to sleep at home last night because they didn't shut off the alarm (they couldn't get it to stay off for more then 5 minutes).

They started cleaning up pretty fast and when I got back around 8am, they had dried out almost all of the top floor. Every floor bellow us is screwed, though. They had leaking through appliances. Ceiling lights. You name it. Have fun insurance companies!

This is what it looked like this morning:
2016-02-14.jpg

What a night! Fish are fine and I'm tired haha. Happy Valentine's Day!

FishEggs

That sucks. At least it was clean water and not sewage though.
Glad your fish and apartment were unscathed.

Leffler817

CCA Members
That sucks but glad your stuff went unharmed. I hope you don't have to relocate while they do repairs. My mom's apt building had a similar issue, while her apt wasn't effected, she had to leave for two or three days until the water could be turned on again. It was bad.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

F8LBITE

Members
OMG I saw the pic and thought you had a large tank that busted. Time to double check that insurance policy

Termato

Board of Directors
Thanks everyone! If the water had come about 10 more feet they would have had to come into our place to replace things. Multiple apartments closer to the epicenter are still being reconstructed. They tore everything up.

So they require us to have 50k liability to move in to this apartment but my insurance was double that from my previous place so I kept that insurance. This served as a good reminder of why to have it.

They've been running these crazy dehumidifiers 24/7 to soak water out of the walls/wood, etc. The floors are made out of concrete so no structural damage was done. Just cosmetic and a lot of headaches for people.

Yea, Christine, it was SUPER stressful. We didn't leave here to until 3am that night and had to sleep elsewhere. We got lucky though. Sucks for those people who had serious damage.

I'm going to use this snow storm to re-scape some tanks as a way to celebrate nothing happening over here hahah.