• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

African butterfly fish?

lizardboy

CCA Members
Does anyone have experience with these guys? Would they work in a 55 gal with some west african cichlids and ropefish?

JLW

CCA Members
Depends, I suppose, on the Westies. If you're talking something reasonably placid, like a P. pulcher, you will probably be just fine. Also would depend on the number of each -- a pair of Kribs and a couple of butterflies wouldn't be an issue. If you're talking some of the more aggressive species, probably not.

I'd watch the ropefish with the cichlids, though, as they might eat it.

The butterflies are also BIG time jumpers, so keep a lid on the tank. :)

lizardboy

CCA Members
yeah the cichlids i'm thinking of are relatively peaceful, so I don't think that'll be a problem. Do you mean the cichlids might eat the ropefish or the other way around? thanks!

Forester

Members
yeah the cichlids i'm thinking of are relatively peaceful, so I don't think that'll be a problem. Do you mean the cichlids might eat the ropefish or the other way around? thanks!

I'm fairly sure he means that the ropefish might eat the cichlids. One of mine decided to eat a convict awhile back and that was the end of both of them.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lizardboy

CCA Members
Wait, like a juvenile convict or a full grown one? Also yeah, I was pretty sure that was what he meant, just making sure

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I've known situations where the ropefish left other fish alone as well as where the ropefish ate smaller, torpedo shaped fish in the night. Make sure the fish are larger than the ropefish's mouth by a significant amount and you should be fine.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

toddnbecka

Members
Breeding butterfly fish is easy, raising the fry not so much. They are actually FW flying fish, and will jump through any available opening. Not fond of water movement, and prefer floating plants for cover. They'll only eat floating food, typically floating pellets are fine, I found that live wax worms are great for conditioning them for spawning.

captmicha

Members
Love butterfly fish, echo what was already said. They love live food, you can feed crickets, moths found, and so on. Anything that floats on top. Or if sinking, try forceps. Or fingers (ew). Make sure you have a dead zone where the water isn't in turmoil.