• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Repashy SuperFood Advice

MarkK

CCA Members
I picked up a package of Repashy SuperFood, Soilent Green. but I have not done anything with it yet.

I was wondering if people have used it and do you follow the directions or have you found it better to adjust the directions in some way.

Any ideas / suggestions would be appreciated.

chriscoli

Administrator
I usually use it as-is, but I have adjusted the water a smidge in either direction depending on if I wanted it firmer or not. I found that for the most part, in the end, it's fine the way the directions are written.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I follow the directions.

I made it in a plastic take out container and brought it outdoors to cool / not stink up the house / **** off my wife.

Matt

verbal

CCA Members
The smell is a lot less if you boil the water in the microwave and then mix it together.

The soleint green doesn't have as much issue with smell as say the meat pie.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Good to know, Jesse... although it was the soilent green that I made ;)

Has anyone experimented with pieces of veggies or worms, etc. in it?

Matt

chriscoli

Administrator
Personally, I find the smell of soilent green more objectionable than meat pie (not saying meat pie is stink-free, mind you)...but I think it depends on what grosses you out the most.

I made it in the kitchen once and that was the end of that. There's now a household agreement that I will not do it in the kitchen anymore. So, I have a mixing bowl and a little plug-in hot pot that I boil water in and I make it in the downstairs bathroom with the fan running. Works for me, since that's where all my fish are anyhow.

MarkK

CCA Members
Thanks all,

it sounds like following the directions will be fine, but I may have to adjust where I make it or ventilation for the smell.

ezrk

Members
Couple of things. Boil water and then add to repashy, you can do it outside if needed.

Remember they key is 3 parts of water to 1 part Repashy (or thereabouts). You can make quite small batches. We are doing 1 tablespoon measures of spawn and grow which we make in tiny food storage container for our fry. They go through it in about a week so it is perfect.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
I also have mixed the different powders a bit. I have added meds, freeze dried, and dried foods to it.

Remember as well, if you mess up your ratios, it is thermo reversible, so can be reheated to adjust

MarkK

CCA Members
I finally found the time to make some, I just used the instructions with no additions, figuring I could experiment with future batches.

The fish seem to love the food, especially the fry, here are some of my fry greedily devouring Soilent Green.

[YT]3EVPtKdW-uU[/YT]

Beeman

Members
After mine is mixed up and ready to pour, I pour it into empty frozen fish food cube trays(ie. blood-worm, brine shrimp, etc.). No slicing and dicing. Once firmed up, just pop them all out into a freezer bag, and they are in ready to serve portions. Saves one step anyway! My mbuna make one disappear in less than a minute. My big school of corys about 30min. Great food in MHO!

MarkK

CCA Members
After mine is mixed up and ready to pour, I pour it into empty frozen fish food cube trays(ie. blood-worm, brine shrimp, etc.).

Beeman, what a great idea! I was thinking of going to a dollar store to find some mini ice cube trays, but I have always have lots of those trays around.

ezrk

Members
Remember you can make them in different amounts. I quite often do 1 tablespoon Repashy to 3 tablespoons of water to make enough for some fry for about 1 week.

Rasta Fish

Members
Do ever wonder what to do with your flake food once its gets too fine to feed your fish
you can add it in the mix also

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
I've scaled up and down the amount, mixed with Repashy Meat Pie, added crumbled flake and golden pearls, and added frozen baby brine shrimp and/or chopped frozen bloodworms. Sets up fine in all instances.

I note that frozen portions tend to become dessicated after a few weeks in the freezer and fresh portions develop a whitish "skin" after several days in the fridge.

Only thing I haven't tried is re-heating it and letting it re-set.

Blaise

KJacks

Members
I also have mixed the different powders a bit. I have added meds, freeze dried, and dried foods to it.

Remember as well, if you mess up your ratios, it is thermo reversible, so can be reheated to adjust

Dont want to hijack ur thread but didnt see any need to start a thread on the same thing.. anyway msjinkzd r anyone who has how did u mix the different powders.. i was considerin doing a half soilent half meat pie ratio that way may carnis n omnis both get what they need but the omnis dont get all that protein in with just using meat pie .. n thought i could make smaller portions also for my betta

Sent from my LG-P925 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App