• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Wife Wants A Shark....

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
<span style="font-family:Century Gothic">Well, good news.... sorda. My wife says I can have more tanks if she can have a shark. She has wanted a shark ever since I

got my first tank. Not the little freshwater things they call sharks, a real shark. I remember seeing a website where a guy built a huge tank in his basement, attached a pool filter

and had an awesome shark tank. I don't remember what kind of shark it was, but it looked like a "real" shark. I tried to tell her it was unreasonable, but then she threw it on me

saying "if it was your idea you'd make it happen no matter what"....... and she's right. I do have the room and some of the materials, all the tools I'll need. Ohhhh my god..... I

can't believe I'm considering this..... If you know of any links or anyone who has built a "huge" tank out of plywood with a plexiglass front let me know. Also, if you know what kind

of shark I could keep long term, that would be helpful too. I've gotta atleast look into this, I owe it to her. I have to say, it would be cool...... but ohhhh my gosh what a project.</span>

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tash @ Nov 10 2008, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
here is one ;) http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=23529 it uses concreate though, not wood.....[/b]

<span style="font-family:Century Gothic">That's an awesome tank, I can't even imagine a 2500g tank in my basement. I found an article about a 1700g shark tank, it looked pretty awesome. I'm gonna keep diggin around

on the net searching for articles. It seems there are people doing this sort of thing. I can't help wondering how many Mbuna's I could pack in a 1700g tank.... lol That's just me tho.

Thanks for the link

Mike</span>

Sonny Disposition

Are there dwarf sharks? Seems that would be a lot easier than trying to take care of a full size one.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swim lil fishy swim @ Nov 10 2008, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<span style="font-family:Century Gothic">Well, good news.... sorda. My wife says I can have more tanks if she can have a shark. She has wanted a shark ever since I

got my first tank. Not the little freshwater things they call sharks, a real shark. I remember seeing a website where a guy built a huge tank in his basement, attached a pool filter

and had an awesome shark tank. I don't remember what kind of shark it was, but it looked like a "real" shark. I tried to tell her it was unreasonable, but then she threw it on me

saying "if it was your idea you'd make it happen no matter what"....... and she's right. I do have the room and some of the materials, all the tools I'll need. Ohhhh my god..... I

can't believe I'm considering this..... If you know of any links or anyone who has built a "huge" tank out of plywood with a plexiglass front let me know. Also, if you know what kind

of shark I could keep long term, that would be helpful too. I've gotta atleast look into this, I owe it to her. I have to say, it would be cool...... but ohhhh my gosh what a project.</span>
[/b]

Artee

Members
I use to have a black tip shark in a 10 foot tank, raised it from 10" to about 28" before it died, poisoned from a feeding, had it for about 2.5 years, awesome to keep , always on the move, I even had a small remora in the tank to keep him company.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sonny Disposition @ Nov 11 2008, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Are there dwarf sharks? Seems that would be a lot easier than trying to take care of a full size one.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swim lil fishy swim @ Nov 10 2008, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Sonny Disposition

Not for me--for swim lil fishy swim. (Mixing salt water is not for me.)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Spine @ Nov 11 2008, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Bob,
I stumbled on to a website that gave a full detailed way to build a 300 gal tank and stand with plywood,fiberglass and glass. I thought I had it bookmarked but no luck there. I'm sure I can find it again I'll send you a link as soon as I do.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_...ic_aquarium.php[/b]

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

<span style="font-family:Century Gothic">
Wow, thanks for all the feedback!!!! Artee, I saw pics of a black tip in a 1700g homemade tank. That would be the ultimate!!! I could definitely do it, but it would be a project that

would take me a very long time, I haven't ruled it out yet but there are definitely some concerns.... Humidity being one big one as well as numerous other ones, but I definitely

don't want my house rotting from the inside out. After a year and a half working full time and building this house on the side I have a great respect for this and what it took to get

it. I have found several links for building big tanks. I'm really considering something smaller than 1700 g tho. I found one site in particular (GARF) that has a ton of info on building

custom plywood tanks. You punch in the size you want and it generates a material list with assembly instructions, I recommend checking it out just for fun. I'm gonna keep kicking

the idea around and try to find something reasonable but really cool for the wife, she really does deserve it. I will definitely study up on this (or anything else I do) in great detail

before I actually do it. I've got a friend that is a big salt fanatic and he has agreed to help me in all areas. This isn't something that I plan on having up and running anytime soon

but there's no better time to start getting mentally ready than now. Thanks again for all the links, I'll be checking them out this evening. Artee, I'm getting set up for the moba fry

now, that's my first priority. Hope to be seeing you real soon.

Mike</span>

Artee

Members
How about stingrays, I have a pair .

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swim lil fishy swim @ Nov 11 2008, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<span style="font-family:Century Gothic">
Wow, thanks for all the feedback!!!! Artee, I saw pics of a black tip in a 1700g homemade tank. That would be the ultimate!!! I could definitely do it, but it would be a project that

would take me a very long time, I haven't ruled it out yet but there are definitely some concerns.... Humidity being one big one as well as numerous other ones, but I definitely

don't want my house rotting from the inside out. After a year and a half working full time and building this house on the side I have a great respect for this and what it took to get

it. I have found several links for building big tanks. I'm really considering something smaller than 1700 g tho. I found one site in particular (GARF) that has a ton of info on building

custom plywood tanks. You punch in the size you want and it generates a material list with assembly instructions, I recommend checking it out just for fun. I'm gonna keep kicking

the idea around and try to find something reasonable but really cool for the wife, she really does deserve it. I will definitely study up on this (or anything else I do) in great detail

before I actually do it. I've got a friend that is a big salt fanatic and he has agreed to help me in all areas. This isn't something that I plan on having up and running anytime soon

but there's no better time to start getting mentally ready than now. Thanks again for all the links, I'll be checking them out this evening. Artee, I'm getting set up for the moba fry

now, that's my first priority. Hope to be seeing you real soon.

Mike</span>
[/b]

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

How about stingrays, I have a pair .

<span style="font-family:Century Gothic">I think yours are cool, but the wife doesn't. Don't feel bad tho, she doesn't think any fish are cool except "Jaws". I would love to have them but just can't afford them, I'm sure

they're worth the money but I just can't swing it. I'm considering getting wildcaught Mbuna after I get the moba's all set up (prolly jan) so I'll have to do some saving for those.

The species variants I'm after aren't in the trade that I can find, but I found a importer that says he can get em. I'm wanting to set up a Chinyankwazi Island Mbuna tank with all

the fish being variants from that location. That tank is all planned out and waiting in line behind the mobas. OMG, I put another fish ahead of Mbuna's!!! What have you people

done to me???? :eek: :D </span>

marge618

CCA member
How about a compromise deal:

Get a family with 2 guests membership to the National Aquarium in Baltimore. Take her and 2 friends to the NAIB and spend all afternoon at the shark tank and shark exhibit area. Then go out to dinner somewhere cool at the inner harbor or Little Italy.

The membership will get you all in anytime you want without waiting in line. Plus you will get the NAIB magazine.
Down the road you could travel with the aquarium crowd to somewhere to see sharks in the wild.

maddog10

Members
Marge,

That is an EXCELLENT idea, as 99.99% of the sharks are NOT suitable for long term care in a home aquarium.

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

I might look into taking the family to the aquarium for a day, that'd be pretty cool. I really appreciate everyones help, based on all the information it looks like we won't be doing a

shark tank. The only shark that she liked was the black tip in the 1700g tank, but she didn't like the size of the tank...... go figure. She doesn't like the bamboo or epaulette sharks

(nor do I), so that pretty much ruled everything out. Doesn't want a monster tank, doesn't want a shark that doesn't somewhat resemble jaws..... I'm not sure yet where I stand

as far as getting the approval to set up a bunch of tanks in the basement but atleast I can say I tried to find what she wanted. If nothing else I got to learn a lot about diy

aquariums, I've actually got an idea ( :sign0129: ) for a 10ft diy mounted in a false wall in my future basement den. Thanks again for everyones help, much

appreciated. :winking0011:

Andrew

Members
OK, I'm coming late on this one but we get this question a lot at the store.

Requiem sharks are the ones that everyone thinks of when you say shark. Generally there are two species of these that are on the outside of possibilities might be kept in someone's home, the Bonnethead shark and the Blacktip shark. Both of these fish (yes, they're fish) will grow to around 4-5 feet in captivity. They must have at least one body length in aquarium width and three body lengths (although more is preferable) in length. At 30 inches deep this is a 1500 or so gallon aquarium or pond. You could keep two or three in a tank of this size assuming the proper filtration and maintenance and assuming that you have a pair or trio and not multiple males. These are minimum requirements though. We bid tanks setups for these kinds of shark tanks starting at around $15,000 not including cabinetry or lighting.

The other sharks that are appropriate for aquarium care may be kept in tanks as small as 180 gallons or so. BUT, they are boring. These are the cat, bamboo and/or epaulette sharks. They sit on the bottom and only swim around at feeding time. They don't look aggressive. They don't have the grace and power that you might be looking for. Moreover, there's not many fish that can be kept with them. People who buy these sharks generally end up disappointed unless they have a genuine fascination for these particular species.

Nurse sharks are unfortunately available from time to time at aquarium shops. There are the worst possible candidate as they grow to twelve feet or more and also simply sit on the bottom until feeding. WooHoo! real exciting: big lazy brown blobs.

Were I to design a shark tank for myself (which I would never do because I'd rather keep discus, stingrays, plecos and tetras in a habitat of that size) I would do a ~5000-gallon raised concrete pond 24x8x3 (LxWxH) with acrylic viewing windows. I would filter with large bead filters, protein skimmers and ozone injection. I'd use 6 inches or so of sand in the bottom a few small piles of live rock in the corners or center to create a racetrack swimming pattern. For inhabitants I'd put blacktip sharks, remoras, SW stingrays and some lookdown jacks. Maybe yellowtail snapper too. This is not actually all far out of reach. Many reef keepers have much more money than this would cost wrapped up in their coral systems.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Matt.

Hey thats where it was. I was trying to remember. I went there while I was at the ACA.
Turn left out of the parking lot, like a mile down the road on the right in a shopping center?

dogofwar

CCA Members
That's correct.

The guy, John, who was the owner went into it with the best of intentions. He previously ran a public aquarium (in the middle east, I believe).

It was a beautiful store, although he never really found his niche of customers.

There was all sorts of media at the "grand opening" most around the shark tank.

Bad economy + lots of entrenched competition led to the store's early demise.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pat Kelly @ Nov 13 2008, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Matt.

Hey thats where it was. I was trying to remember. I went there while I was at the ACA.
Turn left out of the parking lot, like a mile down the road on the right in a shopping center?
[/b]

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Got ya.

I just remember it was an interesting store but was hidden from the road, and was terrible parking when I was there.

Too bad. I do remember standing in front of the sharks for quite a while but all I kept saying was needs to change to
fresh water. lol