• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

oddball recommendations

Adawson88

Members
I know I put this under New world cichlid too but I want to make sure I get everyone's feedback...I have a pair of HRPs along with some small barbs and am looking for an interesting oddball for the tank. I was thinking Oriental Bichir but having trouble acquiring a small one... then was recommended rope fish but not sure how well that will hold up to my HRPs and don't want something that will stay in hiding.. Any ideas?

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Their is no such thing as a oriental bichir. You meant Ornate Bichir or Polypterus Ornatipinnis. Ornates get long as in about two feet long. None of those will work together either. The HRP 's will out compete the bichir for food and may kill off the bichir before it's large enough to eat the HRP's. Rope fish are excellent escape artist. Bichirs do well with other bichirs. So people have had success with keeping bichirs African leaf fish together. If you have other questions try the poly forum on MFK. I'll provide what info I know if you are really considering a Polypterus. I think I have the most in the club.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Last edited:

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I agree. Ornates get huge. if you want polys go with a smaller species like P.palmas palmas, P.palmas butikofferi, P.weeksi, or P.senegalus.

Becca

Members
What about Banjo cats or Raphael/talking cats? They aren't as odd as a bichir or rope fish, but they can hold their own and the Raphaels will get especially friendly and active at feeding time. Ours will take food from your hand.

Adawson88

Members
Thanks. Yes I meant Ornate... That's what I get for writing things after midnight.... I have a Raphael cat in the tank as well. I'll look into other species of Polys. I used to have one year's ago and was fond of him but had to leave the hobby for a while when I moved. Also miss my Oscar but I want that same personality without the tank destruction.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
yah, I have 2 oscars in a sand bottom tank and I always wake up to half the sand being on one side of the tank and no sand on the other.