• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Resealing tanks

chris_todd

Members
What's it mean when the silicone is still quite tacky 24 hours after laying down the beads and smoothing them? Is it possible for silicone to go bad with time? I don't know how long ago I bought this tube of GE Silicone II.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Not sure except...

...it's too early to fill. High humidity? Poor ventilation? Cool temperature? Different formula? Good things take time? I'd give it a couple days myself and assume it'll be right.

JasonC

Members
Sure it was GE Silicone II? I thought that was the one with the added anti-mildew compounds that were a toxic no-no in a fish tank? Hopefully you ment GE Silicone I?

chris_todd

Members
Jason, your comment made me go look at the tube again, and it is Silicone II. That's OK, though, I'm turning this tank into a terrarium for Carnivorous plants, so it's probably better to use the II than the I.

However, on closer inspection, the tube did have etched on it "Use by 01/08", so it's four years out of date. Ugh. Guess I'll have to clean it off and go get a new tube from Home Despot.

chris_todd

Members
Turns out silicone should be used before its "use by" date. :) Bought a new tube of silicone, cleaned out the old stuff, ran new beads, and 36 hours later it passed a leak test.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app