• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Tank Cleaning?

Sorry ahead for the long post.

My neighbor gave me a tank. I cleaned it with tank cleaner (petsmart) and a little bit of vinegar to try to remove lime scale deposits. I rinsed very well. I rinsed my new crushed coral and added it to the tank. I used water conditioner on my tap water that I added to the tank. I had some coral that I used about 5 years ago in another setup that I had. Been sitting in bucket in shed for that long. I added that Coral rock to the tank. I got 26 Brichardi and checked the temp, ph, and salinity of the water they came from matched the tank as to not change those conditions. The fish all died. So, I do not know what killed them. there could be several things: Contaminated coral, contaminated transport container, or contaminated tank glass.

Since I do not know what caused it I do not want to just drain and re-fill my tank without taking proper steps to clean whatever caused my fish kill. Finally my questions.

Should I throw away my coral rock that was in the shed that I used or is there a way to clean it?
How do I clean the crushed coral that was new at the beginning of this adventure to make sure it is not contaminated as well?
What should I use to make sure the tank is clean and rinsed?

I guess simple stated, what are the steps I should take to clean this mess up and be ready for some more fish?

Thanks ahead of time for your help.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Robert Peterson @ Aug 25 2008, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
How long did you have the tank set up before adding the fish?
How large a tank is it?[/b]

I know, I know the tank was only set up for like 4 hours. It is only 30 Gallon. I know theoretically the tank needs to sit for at least 24 hours before adding fish.

I would think that the lack of established bacteria led to one death and each death drove the ammonia levels higher killing other fish. I usually let my tanks sit for a minimum of two weeks if there is not an established filter or substrate in the tank. I also tend to place dither fish(endlers, guppies) in before adding fish I care about. Not trying to lecture, just saying that for that large a bioload to be added at once is pretty difficult for even an established tank to handle. I think that this was more your problem as opposed to the crushed coral or anything else you added. 30 gallons is too small a tank for that many Brichardis anyway. Probably no more than 6-8 adults in a 30 gallon depending how large they are.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Robert Peterson @ Aug 25 2008, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I would think that the lack of established bacteria led to one death and each death drove the ammonia levels higher killing other fish. I usually let my tanks sit for a minimum of two weeks if there is not an established filter or substrate in the tank. I also tend to place dither fish(endlers, guppies) in before adding fish I care about. Not trying to lecture, just saying that for that large a bioload to be added at once is pretty difficult for even an established tank to handle. I think that this was more your problem as opposed to the crushed coral or anything else you added. 30 gallons is too small a tank for that many Brichardis anyway. Probably no more than 6-8 adults in a 30 gallon depending how large they are.[/b]

They were all youngins and the arrangement was temporary. While I look for my larger tank. It was a good deal and it was exactly what I wanted for my larger tank. they were only .5-.75 inches long. I know now I shoulda waited.

Is there a way to clean my coral rocks just as a precaution? Same with the crushed coral/tank.

I knew I was pushing it when I did what I did. The person that sold me the 26 Brichardi is gonna give me a breeder pair so I can breed my own. It is very nice of him to help me when it was me that messed up.

I also did not know ammonia levels can rise that fast. I thought it was the decomposition that caused ammonia levels to rise.

Thanks for your input Robert.

dogofwar

CCA Members
If they died in a matter of HOURS, it wasn't that the tank wasn't cycled. I'd bet the water was much harder / more alkaline than the water where the fish came from (as a result of the crushed coral substrate/coral)...and babies can be kind of sensitive.

I'm also suspicious of the coral that's been in your shed for a long time. Any chance pesticide or gas, etc. got on it?

Anyway, slowly adjust some adult fish and you should be fine.

Also, if you have some substrate or a spare filter from another tank, use it in the new one and things will get cycled faster. I use PRIME on tanks and have set them up immediately prior to adding fish without incident.

PRIME does work exceedingly well only had one problem with it and I think that was more the fish. Been awhile since I set up an emergency tank like that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogofwar @ Aug 25 2008, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If they died in a matter of HOURS, it wasn't that the tank wasn't cycled. I'd bet the water was much harder / more alkaline than the water where the fish came from (as a result of the crushed coral substrate/coral)...and babies can be kind of sensitive.

I'm also suspicious of the coral that's been in your shed for a long time. Any chance pesticide or gas, etc. got on it?

Anyway, slowly adjust some adult fish and you should be fine.

Also, if you have some substrate or a spare filter from another tank, use it in the new one and things will get cycled faster. I use PRIME on tanks and have set them up immediately prior to adding fish without incident.[/b]

Your statement makes lots of sense. The tank that he removed them from had no crushed coral on the bottom. I think he had also moved them not to long ago to the tank that he took them out of to give them to me.

there is a small chance that the coral came in contact with something like you ask about since they are kept in the same structure. Is there any way to try to clean it or is it just trash?

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'm a fan of the 5g bucket test: put a few guppies, goldfish, or spare cichlid babies in a 5g bucket or rubbermaid (with dechlorinated water and a sponge / box filter) and add whatever you're suspicious of... After a few days, if they're still kicking, then it's not poisonous.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogofwar @ Aug 25 2008, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm a fan of the 5g bucket test: put a few guppies, goldfish, or spare cichlid babies in a 5g bucket or rubbermaid (with dechlorinated water and a sponge / box filter) and add whatever you're suspicious of... After a few days, if they're still kicking, then it's not poisonous.[/b]

Thats a good idea. Thanks for the input. I will be doing this.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
<div class=\'quotetop\'>QUOTE (Patrick @ Aug 25 2008, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class=\'quotemain\'>. Is there any way to try to clean it or is it just trash?[/b][/quote]

The tank cleaners may work. Soak in salt water and rinse multipe times may work.
If I determined that there was a possiblity of contamination, I personally would just get rid of it.
I always worry about it leaching something out a year from now. Move it in the tank and a small part breaks off and the poison escapes. ??/?
Just me.
I agree with the tests. If nothing happens before cleaning it, then it was not that.