• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Shipping Fish

hydrodmg

Members
I need some advice on fish shipping. I want to try aqua bid once to see how I like it. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
My advice would be to make sure you use fish bags. I would also recommend you use oxygen. You can rent small tanks from medical supply companies or from Robert's Oxygen (though you will likely have a deposit fee for the bottle). This time of year you should use heat packs. Remember that heat packs need an oxygen source to work, which is why wholesalers will put a small hole or two in the lid of the styro when using heat packs.

toddnbecka

Members
Depending on the size of the fish I either use poly bags and O2 or breather bags. Larger/spinier fish get 2-3 heavy poly bagsm smaller fish go in breathers. You'll need to insulate the shipping box with styrofoam. I buy it at Lowe's in sheets and cut to size to line the inside of the boxes. Heat packs are also necessary if the low temps are below 50, might want to use 2 if it's really cold. The 60 or 72 hour packs are good for Priority Mail, mostly what people choose since it's less expensive. (They work fine for overnight too.) I buy all my shipping supplies from kensfish.com, best prices I've found all around.

minifoot77

Members
Depending on the size of the fish I either use poly bags and O2 or breather bags. Larger/spinier fish get 2-3 heavy poly bagsm smaller fish go in breathers. You'll need to insulate the shipping box with styrofoam. I buy it at Lowe's in sheets and cut to size to line the inside of the boxes. Heat packs are also necessary if the low temps are below 50, might want to use 2 if it's really cold. The 60 or 72 hour packs are good for Priority Mail, mostly what people choose since it's less expensive. (They work fine for overnight too.) I buy all my shipping supplies from kensfish.com, best prices I've found all around.

+1 same thing i do :)

hydrodmg

Members
thanks guys i will check out kens fish for sure. I have read a bunch of articles on conditioning the fish for shipping but i would rather have the advice from a club member on who has actually shipped fish

dogofwar

CCA Members
I don't feed fish for at least three days prior to shipping (or bagging for the auction...or showing). Cleaning out their digestive system means that they won't produce as much waste (ammonia) in the bag. Some folks use bag buddies or a piece of Polyfilter to deal with ammonia in the bag as well.

Matt

Spine

Members
Some shippers use new conditioned water to ship the fish instead of the water from the tank they where in.

toddnbecka

Members
No food for at least 2 days before packing, and I cut off a little chunk of polyfilter to put into each bag to absorb ammonia and other organic pollutants in transit. Always use fresh dechlorinated water, not tank water. Never used bag buddies, I read somewhere that they're only effective for a few hours, and don't see where they increase the odds of live arrival.

dogofwar

CCA Members
You can use bag buddies OR polyfilter. Not both. Unless you want the polyfilter to absorb the bag buddies :)

Matt

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
All good advise.
Over bag. In other words. double or triple bag the fish.
1/3 water to 2/3 O2
I use 1/4 water from tank and 3/4 new treated water. (all new treated water is even better, I just want some of the water they were used to to be mixed in. Personal thing.)
And yes, the biggest thing is cleaning them out. Get them out of their tank into a fresh one that has little to pick at a few days before shipping.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
what size fish are you shipping? If they are young (fry) or very small, I don't always fast for 2 days as they can then show up looking quite thin and bedraggled.

If you know approximately what type and size fish you are giong to be shipping, you might get more focused answers on shipping strategies.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Don't use Bag Buddies for any Africans under 2". Too much for them to handle imo. Only use poly filter.

fischfan13

Banned
Ok, so I started shipping a few months back. I have had enough fish shipped to me over the years that I realize what works and what does not.
I have shipped Africans, no larger than 2", ABN's and Shrimp.

Box.
Get a box that the bag will fit it, and fit in as tightly as possible. You will want to line the inside of the box with an insulator...I have been using sheets of white insulation from Lowe's as I have found they hold the heat in and are the most inexpensive. Cut the sheets so that they are air tight, this prevents the cold of Winter getting in.
Don't do what I did and buy 24 hour heat packs because they are cheaper...get the 60 hour packs. Tape the heat pack to either the side or the top on the insulation (inside the box of course) and tape the pack so it does not move around the box. Be careful that the heat pack does not touch the bag of fish as the pack could get up to 110f.
When closing the top of the box make sure that there is no air between the the top of the insulation and the lid of the box...it should be a tight fit.
When placing the filled bag into the box place put it in there so there is no way the bag can wiggle around. If there is a loose fit then add something like bubblewrap or newspaper around the bag to get the bag "stuck" in really good.

Fish.
Purge, purge, purge. I received a bag of 1" juveniles from a retailer once and all of the fish after a 24 hour trip were dead. I called the retailer and they admitted that since it was a last minute addition to an order they did not have time to purge and that the juveniles were fed earlier in the morning. I could smell the ammonia when I opened the box, and the smell of the inside of the bag was atrocious. Remember, one death inside of that bag could attribute to a domino affect and kill another and another...

Bag.
Double or triple bagging is the only way to go. Finding "box bags" or bags without corners is the absolute best type of bag to ship with.
1/3 water and 2/3 air...and I do not ship with O2. I use a bag buddie with my shipment. It doesn't hurt, it's cheap, it is a sedative and supposedly if it is a sedative, along with purging your fish, you will get less waste from those fish.

The water.
Ok, so this is my unorthodox way...
A few hours before I am going to ship I pick a tank out to give a 95-100% water change...kind of killing two birds with one stone.
That tank gets the water change and when I go to ship those fish get that fresh water.

Just my 2 cents.
Like I said, I am a newbie to shipping but I have taken advice from those who have shipped to me. I have shipped 20 times...without a death. Now I know that sooner or later my luck will break...

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Ok, so I started shipping a few months back. I have had enough fish shipped to me over the years that I realize what works and what does not.
I have shipped Africans, no larger than 2", ABN's and Shrimp.

Box.
Get a box that the bag will fit it, and fit in as tightly as possible. You will want to line the inside of the box with an insulator...I have been using sheets of white insulation from Lowe's as I have found they hold the heat in and are the most inexpensive. Cut the sheets so that they are air tight, this prevents the cold of Winter getting in.
Don't do what I did and buy 24 hour heat packs because they are cheaper...get the 60 hour packs. Tape the heat pack to either the side or the top on the insulation (inside the box of course) and tape the pack so it does not move around the box. Be careful that the heat pack does not touch the bag of fish as the pack could get up to 110f.
When closing the top of the box make sure that there is no air between the the top of the insulation and the lid of the box...it should be a tight fit.
When placing the filled bag into the box place put it in there so there is no way the bag can wiggle around. If there is a loose fit then add something like bubblewrap or newspaper around the bag to get the bag "stuck" in really good.

QUOTE]

Also you may want to put a small hole in the lid behind where you tape the heat pack. These work on O2 so if its packed air tight the heaters will only work until the O2 runs out.
Got this from Discus Hans. He cuts a small hole in the lid and then covers the hole with the heat pack and tapes into place.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Good info Bill. You're starting to give me a little confidence about shipping myself...

Follow the posts and you will have no problems. I use O2 because I have it. I have shipped without also. Note: do not use O2 with catfish.
Everyone does it a little different but as long as you take your time and clean the fish and water you should be fine.
I have not shipped a lot but have done it a few times in the past. It was harder on my nerves than on the fish. LOL