• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

HI all

Iaan

HI All,
This is my first post on this forum, been a member for a wile.
At the moment I've got two 250 liter tanks (55 gal I think) and one 100 liters (22 gal I think) see I'm from South-Africa and wee work in liters ant mm not gal and foots. anyway one is a African Cichlid tank running for two years now. The other one I am starting a Amazon flood plane Bio with that one I need all the help I can get, started out with wild angels, nions, low lights, black nions, Gappies, tiger bobs and lemon tetras as for as I know all of them is Amazonian please correct me if I'm wrong. Still want to introduce Discus to the tank. I want to add plants, I know the plants were suppose to be first but I got the tank and all the fish except the angels from someone for free (she wanted out of the hobby). Now what plants do I need? I got the driftwood already the potting soil and silica sand as sub-strait already in place. I'm running sump filter with a 2700 l/h pump with a trickle inlet to the sump. Help please

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Welcome to the CCA! All of the fish you mentioned are amazonian except for the guppies and tiger barbs. As for plants that are low light and amazonian, give me an idea of how low. What type of light are you running?
-Andrew

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Welcome, interesting summary, might need more details to help you. If what you have is working, then fine. But if not, you can get recommendations on soil or substrate to use for growing plants, lights needed, how long the lights should be on. Filters and other stuff. You need to keep the water quality in great shape to keep the fish healthy and that involves doing about 50% (IMP though others will say 20 or 30%) weekly water changes.

turfboss

Members
Welcome Iaan - don't worry too much about that liters and gallons or meters and feet thing - most of us can do those calculations on the fly since so much of the literature jumps back and forth between the two - so feel at home and welcome to the forum - hope to see you at the September meeting..