• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Summer tubs

chriscoli

Administrator
Anyone else working on summer tubs after hearing Rachel's talk? Here's what I'm currently prototyping...I need to find a spot with more sun before finalizing it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1430084113.107396.jpg

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I plan on moving my 30g preformed beckett pond back outside. That one is sold at Home Depot. I will also set back up two plastic 1/2 whiskey barrels from Costco.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lkelly

Members
I would have loved to have been there to hear that talk. If anyone would like to pass on some essential nuggets of wisdom, I'd love to hear about outdoor grow out tubs.

Becca

Members
I'm thinking about it, but every time I look at a tub-shaped thing I get a dirty look from the mister. I want to put my white clouds back outside, plus some CPDs, choprae, and maybe orange hatchets...

I could put the emperor tetras out, but I've already got fry in 3 different tanks... maybe hundreds of them... I'm starting to wonder if they need to be adults to reproduce because every time I think I've got them all more show up.

The thing I'm worried about is overflow/rain. If there's a heavy rain fall, then what? I'm thinking about using window screening or plastic canvas and silicon to add an overflow rim where water could flow out pretty freely but most fish wouldn't fit through...

mchambers

Former CCA member
We're building a screened porch. Once that's done, the next project is building a small pond. I may also try one of the tubs that Andrew uses, but I want to wait until the porch is done, so that I won't have to worry about the electrical during the construction.

The good news is that my description of Rachel's talk got my wife excited about building a pond, and she's now looking up plans, etc. Don't think we'll get to 3000 gallons, like Rachel, however.

Just need to make sure we build it when my son is around, so I can take advantage of free labor!

mchambers

Former CCA member
Just got one of these

I plan on moving my 30g preformed beckett pond back outside. That one is sold at Home Depot. I will also set back up two plastic 1/2 whiskey barrels from Costco.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
At the Big Orange Retail Giant for $29.95. Also picked up some plastic netting to keep the raccoons out.

Am now trying to figure out where to put it, where it won't be too hot, and I can run power to the pump. Am just planning to use a standard aquarium submersible pump.

Also need to figure out what fish to add!

skanda

Members
Hi Becca,

I put my white clouds outside in tub which is heavily planted with java fern hydrophylla, and Giant Vals. They have been there since late March. No signs of fry yet.. Do you breed them indoors or outdoors in the spring? I find that they do not tolerate summer temps well as they are a cold water species. I typically do not take the adults out after spawning.. HOw do you breed them? I would like to get a decent amount to fill my 75 gallon.
Also how do you spawn your emperors?

Thanks
Skanda

h
I'm thinking about it, but every time I look at a tub-shaped thing I get a dirty look from the mister. I want to put my white clouds back outside, plus some CPDs, choprae, and maybe orange hatchets...

I could put the emperor tetras out, but I've already got fry in 3 different tanks... maybe hundreds of them... I'm starting to wonder if they need to be adults to reproduce because every time I think I've got them all more show up.

The thing I'm worried about is overflow/rain. If there's a heavy rain fall, then what? I'm thinking about using window screening or plastic canvas and silicon to add an overflow rim where water could flow out pretty freely but most fish wouldn't fit through...

mchambers

Former CCA member
Got my Beckett 35 gallon tub set up, with water and a pump, and a few plants. Am still working on the cover (I'm worried about raccoons.)

Surprisingly, the water temp this morning was 61F. The tub is set into the soil a few inches, so I guess that's the soil temperature. Will be a while before I add fish, if that's really the temperature.

Last edited:

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Got my Beckett 35 gallon tub set up, with water and a pump, and a few plants. Am still working on the cover (I'm worried about raccoons.)

Surprisingly, the water temp this morning was 61F. The tub is set into the soil a few inches, so I guess that's the soil temperature. Will be a while before I add fish, if that's really the temperature.

Yea 65 was my water temp outside

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Spine

Members
I think everyone is safe as far as temps are concerned.Just feed lite or skip it until these next couple of cool nights pass.

Jt731

Members
The desire to do another tank has succumbed to maybe doing something on my apartment patio

Can someone point me in the right direction for reading up before I go off half cocked like usual

Becca

Members
The desire to do another tank has succumbed to maybe doing something on my apartment patio

Can someone point me in the right direction for reading up before I go off half cocked like usual

Wait, you think the rest of us didn't go off half cocked???

Becca

Members
I want to set up a summer tub or two, I just missed the talk. Can someone give me the main bullet points?

Make sure there's movement across the entire surface so mosquitoes and other predatory insects/larvae don't breed in it.

Placement where it gets morning sun and afternoon shade is best.

Jt731

Members
Make sure there's movement across the entire surface so mosquitoes and other predatory insects/larvae don't breed in it.

What I have read, although these were people keeping rainbowfish in tubs, is that mosquito larvae is fine and a source of food but dragonfly bad.

The bigger concern with mosquito is location of the tub if your state/county/local spray for mosquitos.