• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Columnaris

Need help with what i think is columnaris wrote a long post for a forum and it never showed up if you can see this please reply and i will respond with details my Malawi's are dropping like flies
Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ok thank you so much for responding here is the situation. It began five days ago the early symptoms were minor shredding for lack of a better word of the ventral fins soon followed by clamping and loss of appetite. It came on very quick and i lost a sunshine and strawberry peacock in the first 24 hours. Next came a whitening of the lips which soon became swollen and the loss of a borleyi the second day. At this point others began showing signs and lips were beginning to deteriorate among as i watched a firefish (red orchidee) lost all lips and even some of his face so i began treating with maracyn plus, i had a hard time determining what would work on gram positive and negative and since i wasn't totally sure it was columnaris i wanted a broad range. I also used pimafix salt dips and small amounts of malachite green along with several partial water changes. The only effect seems to be a slowing of the progression and today i lost a livingstonii and the firefish. Also effected have been a red top zebra and others have minor fIn issues possibly caused by cichlid rough housing which is comparatively minor as far as cichlids go. Water parameters are good always add salt and also tried to bring the temp. down with no avail due to summer heat so around 80 deg. Filtration good airation strong beneficial bacteria should be good as long as the meds don't effect them perhaps you have the answer to that. Any info would be appreciated i will try to post a picture but may have to wait till the morn when i have access to a better phone or computer. any questions let me know and thank you it has taken so long to track down some of these fish and losing them is horrible especially as i see them suffering.

The fins that were first frayed or shredded at the tips eventually split and deteriorate till they are almost gone ruling out aggression

thedavidzoo

Members
Was there any of the white, fluffy, cotton-like growth on fins, eyes, etc.? Sounds strange with lips and faces missing???

I just had a round of, I think columnaris, one fish only. Did heavy melafix myracyn I and II and TBL salt per gallon in quarantine. Gave it all I could, couldn't make it worse I figured. This was the first time I actually managed to save a fish with this condition, and he was pretty bad.

Good luck! It is very frustrating and sad!

Others will hopefully be more helpful on this....

Very strange the red orchidee got so bad my astonishment resort was to remove him to try to treat his face with hydrogen peroxide by q-tip the first time helped slow it down the second time there were exposed bones didn't realize they had bones in there lips or maybe firm cartilage but they were hardly even attached so sad to watch. Actually yes there as very minor fluff on some fins where they first split and the livingstonii had it on his eye but only him i forgot to add that.