• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How to make your sub-doms happy

Take out the big kahuna! Two sub doms were showing just a tiny bit of color in my a. benga tank, so I decided to sell my fancy big boy and give the two other boys an opportunity to show their stuff. In less than 24 hours they were both showing significantly more color. Sorry for the bad photo

subdoms.jpg

chriscoli

Administrator
They look great, holly! It always amazes me how fast they can change when their social status changes.

neut

Members
Don't know if you're interested in this sort of thing, but there's been some interesting study done on why that's an expected result and what's actually happening biologically.

Example (reasonably easy read, not overly technical)
Notable from article:
The study also contributes to a growing body of scientific evidence that fish are more than mindless creatures that instinctively swim about in search of food and mates. "Our study shows that the male cichlid is obviously interacting with the world around it says Burmeister, a former postdoctoral fellow in the Fernald lab, now assistant professor of biology at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill. "The subordinate male is responding to the absence of another individual, so he has to have some kind of understanding of what their relationship was in the past and what it is now. This implies a cognitive ability to process complex information, which is much more that we usually think of in fish."

Last edited: