• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Geo. Altifrons

animicrazy

Members
Geo. Alto's; 4"-5" fish... need some advice or a source of info.

Problem: (1) Upside down fish w/ very red gill membranes, but trying to eat; (2ND) upside down fish this morning that seemed fine yesterday - can't get good look at gills.

Any advice?

Paul.

maddog10

Members
Need to know your water parameters. Give all test results (pH, ammonia, nitite, nitrate, temp, hardness)

Charlutz

Members
<div class='quotemain'>Red gills usually = ammonia or high nitrates.[/b]

Assume ammonia: any magic treatment I might not have heard of?

Thanks.
[/b][/quote]

Water changes. Did you do anything that might have wiped out your biofilter? Or maybe did a water change with chlorinated water?

Spine

Members
Paul were these fish just recently shipped? Are they breathing normally
Its sound like they might have been exposed to poor water quality. I would try the shotgun approach, do a 50% water change give them a antibacterial treatment add a little salt at 0.1percent (1gm/liter) The salt can help get rid of parasite and ease the affect of high ammonia or nitrate levels

cyradis4

Members
Yes, they were recently shipped, as in they arrived Tuesday morning and were placed in a tank of fresh (treated) tap water in a tank recently set up (with no ammonia or nirtites, or nitrates).

Amanda.

longstocking

Members
If these were just shipped. Ammonia burn. Happens when the person that ships has bad water quality. SOmetimes the fish can heal... sometimes not. Or it can happen when dripping the bags... that's why i don't drip.

Add salt.... if I see something like this I add 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons of water.

D

daniel4832

I agree with Sarah, I would only add that if these were recently shipped, you need to let the shipper know that you are having problems, so that he can help correct the problems.
Thanks,
Daniel

Spine

Members
I agree with Sarah's dosage also. What I meant to say was start with a lower dose of salt and build up to the teaspoon dose. Some fish (catfish and a few others) can only take very small amounts of salt without ill affects. Starting with a lower amount keeps from further shocking the fish. If you are unfamiliar with using salt on that particular species of fish always keep a eye on things. don't just dump in a treatment and leave if you can avoid it. How are the fish doing?

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I have found altifrons especially sensetive to changes in water. I don't think anyone has given you bad advice here and mostly agree. I use a WHOLE lot more salt when I dose with it though. I am careful with scaleless cats but start with a teaspoon per gallon, not ten gallons. With Cichlids I have gone up to three teaspoons per gallon. Yes, I know, you could hatch brine shrimp. Less than one teaspoon per gallon will have no affect on those parasites you don't want. I don't think parasites are your problem though so lots of salt probably isn't going to help anyway. If these fish are still making it you are going to have to do frequent water changes for awhile since you told us this was a freshly set up tank with no biological filtration yet. Maybe you pulled a sponge from another tank? If not you might want to do that to get this tank going.

Good luck. These are really gorgeous fish. Let us know how it's going.

George

I agree with Sarah's dosage also. What I meant to say was start with a lower dose of salt and build up to the teaspoon dose. Some fish (catfish and a few others) can only take very small amounts of salt without ill affects. Starting with a lower amount keeps from further shocking the fish. If you are unfamiliar with using salt on that particular species of fish always keep a eye on things. don't just dump in a treatment and leave if you can avoid it. How are the fish doing?[/b]

DeeCee

Members
Paul,

How are they doing now?

DC

Good point, George. I always made sure to use a seeded sponge with a new tank. Seemed to make all the difference, even if it had ony been used for a few days previously.

animicrazy

Members
Paul,

How are they doing now?

DC

Good point, George. I always made sure to use a seeded sponge with a new tank. Seemed to make all the difference, even if it had ony been used for a few days previously.[/b]

The remaining (2) Altos are doing better: eating, moving their previously clamped gill plates, swimming around, interacting etc.

With fish in this condition I usually do >50% water changes per day and observe for a couple. I like the "shotgun" approach also but unless death is imminent I give the fish a day or two to acclimate - then hit them w meds. Gills were obviously ammonia burned; the two fish in trouble never had a chance.

Salt is a great, and cheap, cure for parasites and bacterial infections that haven't progressed too far; also helps w breathing, stress etc. but I wasn't sure of its affect on sore & sensitive gill tissue.

Now that the predestined deaths have occurred I'm starting today w salt and Maracyn plus. Don't laugh. I have a meds cabinet that rivals a small pharmacy but when you really have no idea what you're fighting (bacterial wise) I have found it to be quite effective - and fish tolerate it well.

Prazi will be next.

With Discus and Angels Metro would be in the regimen but I don't know if the Geo species has a hex problem: I'll bring out the microscope and do a "poop smear" - any suggestions regarding Metro??

Thanks to all for your responses - I have just started collecting Geo's (love the fish; want them all) but my knowledge base is Discus and Angels.

Paul.

D

daniel4832

Paul,
I think you are doing what you can.
The salt will help soothe the burns in the gills, just like gargling with salt water, for a sore throat :D
Thanks,
Daniel