• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Betta Spawn! HMPK Yellow

zackcrack00

Members
Hey everyone! I wanted to make sure this was legitimate before posting, and it is! My male is currently guarding the nest and watchfully waiting for eggs to come down so he can put them right back up. I came home from school yesterday and found them! This was only their second day in the breeding tank. Hopefully I can raise these guys nice and big! The female took a good beating but now resides in her own 2.5-gallon with Indian Almond Leaf extract and Melafix. Wish me luck; now comes the hard part. Pics to come after school! :D

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zackcrack00

Members
Yes, these are the yellow pair of imports I got one week ago. I put Indian Almond Lead extract in the tank, put the water level at six inches, put the temp to 84 F, no substrate, floating plants, no surface disturbance at all (no air stone no filter), and most important a styrofoam cup cut in half. This protects the eggs and bubbles from fungus and popping. He favors to build his nest under the cup. Ive attached a picture of when he started to begin building his nest. The female was in the jar in the tank for one day because I was giving the male time to build his nest.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

chriscoli

Administrator
Nice! I love how simple the half-Styrofoam cup idea is! sometimes the best stuff is right under our noses.

chriscoli

Administrator
Hey Zack, do you track barometric pressure? I recently got a weather station (on clearance) that tells me the pressure and shows me the trend over the past 24 hrs. I'm interested to know if any of the spawns I have in my fishroom correspond with dips in pressure. Bettas generally do, correct?

dogofwar

CCA Members
Bettas are pretty much ready to breed whenever the male's built a nest and the female's conditioned enough with food.

You can tell the female's are ready when they show vertical (vs. horizontal) stripes when they see the male and they have a small white dot on their vent (looks like an egg).

A typical betta spawn will produce a bunch of babies (a couple of hundred) of varying quality. People (unnecessarily) worry about cichlid being inbred a generation or two but bettas have been inbred for decades to get the fancy traits that people want. I usually culled (fed to other fish) all but a dozen or so fish from each spawn - a few months down the road each male will require a separate jar (you can imagine what my bedroom looked like in 1985: NFL bedspread...Cincinnati Reds and Lambroughini posters... and hundreds of jars of bettas on every surface of the room.) Cichlids are WAY less work :)

Matt