• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Lighting Suggestions for a 120

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I have a 5 foot 120 gallon tank (60" wide x 18" deep x 22" tall) that I'm struggling to find a good solution for lighting. When I picked up the tank, it came with a matching 5 foot, single bulb T-12 fixture. The fixture isn't nearly enough to light the tank to my liking (the tank is in my family room, so it is a show tank more than anything else). I picked up a 4', double t-8 fixture when TFW closed down, but by itself it is still a little dark in the tank for my liking. I have been using both of the fixtures, but it is cumbersome because they take up so much room on top of the glass tops, I can't open the tank to do anything without having to take one of the fixtures down. Additionally, it looks crappy with two fixtures on the top of the tank.

So, I'm looking for affordable solutions for a single fixture that will effectively light the tank without costing a small fortune. I don't need anything to grow plants, just enough light to see the fish. Anyone have a good suggestion?

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Jon- I have been reading threads on other forums about the Beamswork brand LED fixtures. You would need the reef bright fixture. I also heard good things about the lights from ledwholesalers.com.

Let me know what you decide to go with. I am struggling to get my 125 bright enough.

jonclark96

Past CCA President

The retro-fit kit seems like the right thing, but I'm a bit leery about getting 5 foot bulbs. I don't think I have ever seen them for sale locally and wouldn't want to get locked into a fixture that I can't easily pick up bulbs. Are these easier to get than I think?

mscichlid

Founder
Yes, from Catalina. :) I think the last ones I got came from Speciality Lights though.

You could also look into 2 x 30" lights as an alternative. Whichever way you go, it ain't pretty cashwise. I've got two tanks that size.

emj920

Members
I used two Marineland Double Bright LED fixtures on my five foot tank.

I had one that was the 24" and another that was 36". They were a little more expensive, but looked good on top of the tank.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
How about getting another 4' T8/T12 fixture, staggering it atop the tank and building a canopy? The fixture could probably found cheap in the club.

Too ghetto?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
How about getting another 4' T8/T12 fixture, staggering it atop the tank and building a canopy? The fixture could probably found cheap in the club.

Too ghetto?

This is kind of what I have on the tank now. Its fine from a lighing perspective but access to the tank is the issue. Each light is 4-5 inches wide and once on top of the tank, they cover the glass lid. I have to lift the fixture up or take it off completely to be able to open the lid.

verbal

CCA Members
What about 2 30" dual t5 NO strips? They are pretty compact so you probably could get away without having to do a canopy.

Deep Blue and Coralife both make them.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
What about 2 30" dual t5 NO strips? They are pretty compact so you probably could get away without having to do a canopy.

Deep Blue and Coralife both make them.

Deep blue would be a less expensive but equally quality choice, witht he exception that the bulbs the fixture come with are not of great color IMO and would need to be swapped out.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
After looking around a bit, I'm thinking of going with a 4x54W T-5 48" fixture. LED's are a bit more than I am looking to spend.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I ended up getting the 4 bulb T5 fixture. Works great and really lights up the tank. It seems to run pretty hot, but not really that big of a deal. I may just have to top off between water changes if the evaporation is too much.

My only issue is that the cords run off the back right of the fixture and my outlet is on the left hand side of the tank. I have to situate the fixture backwards on the top of the tank in order for the cords to reach until I have time to figure out how to get an extension cord plugged in behind the stand. It has a solid back so it is a bit tough.