• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Help IDing Peacock

Siklid

Members
I got this guy from my neighbor. I do not know exactly what type of peacock he is.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

DSC_2891.jpg

Siklid

Members
Thanks - He is my first real Peacock. I think he looks good. Got him because the neighbor was moving. What a deal. I am new to the African game and I would like to try to breed him.

Siklid

Members
I have never been to Aquamania - will there be opportunities to get fish that I could start to breed?

verbal

CCA Members
I wouldn't breed him because your not exactly sure what he is so you can't get the right females. That's just my thought

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

I agree with this. If you register for Aquamania you can join in the Dave's fish group buy. He has a couple of varieties of peacocks available as adults and even more available as decent size juvies. There also are a number of club members who will have breed peacocks.

verbal

CCA Members
If you no cichlids you do..thats an easy one..

If you have a choice between juvies with a "maybe Eureka male bred with Eureka females" or a "Eureka juvies bred from a group from a reputable source", which one are you going to choose?

I'm goona stay out of this one. Just remember eurekas aren't naturally occurring species so there is no way to say if its a real eureka red I wouldn't say breeding a red empress with a super red empress creates a hybrid just another red empress. Its the same thing in this case imo.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I'm goona stay out of this one. Just remember eurekas aren't naturally occurring species so there is no way to say if its a real eureka red I wouldn't say breeding a red empress with a super red empress creates a hybrid just another red empress. Its the same thing in this case imo.

I should have added that I believe this fish may have been the result of a eureka that bred with an otter point. I don't think its any more of a hybrid than that.

It's a pretty fish. You can do an all male peacock tank if you have a large enough tank and you're very careful about what you put together. That said, "jakes" tend to be on the nastier side of the peacock world and sometimes can be difficult to manage. You could trade him to someone with a big all male tank and get a male of certain lineage and then get females from Dave and pick them up at Aquamania.

With not all that many people in CCA doing Old World these days (what is WRONG with you people??!!) breeding common peacocks is probably not very useful unless you have lots of tanks to keep the fry in or are willing to ship. If you want to do it, get the harder to breed i.e. less common peacocks and try your hand at a colony of those.