• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

cutteri getting frisky! What now?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
So I got a pair of cutteri from Matt at the last meeting. They are about 4"(m) and 3"(f) alone in a modestly furnished 20 gallon high tank. The tank water is dechlorinated tap and kept at around 76-77 degrees.

At first they were a bit skittish, but have really come around and are rapidly becoming some of my favorite fish.

Last night, I went in to check on them and the male had done some serious gravel re-arrangement. Rather than hanging on opposite ends of the tank (female by the pot and male near the sponges), they both were together in the male's corner and dancing around quite a bit.

What do I do now? Should I put in a base for a small clay pot? Should I move the pot that's already in there to the side that they're hanging out in? Do I need to separate the parents from the fry and if so, how long after they're free-swimming? If they spawn right next to the sponge filters, is that an issue?

I know next to nothing when it comes to the new world. Thanks a ton in advance.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
So I got a pair of cutteri from Matt at the last meeting. They are about 4"(m) and 3"(f) alone in a modestly furnished 20 gallon high tank. The tank water is dechlorinated tap and kept at around 76-77 degrees.

At first they were a bit skittish, but have really come around and are rapidly becoming some of my favorite fish.

Last night, I went in to check on them and the male had done some serious gravel re-arrangement. Rather than hanging on opposite ends of the tank (female by the pot and male near the sponges), they both were together in the male's corner and dancing around quite a bit.

What do I do now? Should I put in a base for a small clay pot? Should I move the pot that's already in there to the side that they're hanging out in? Do I need to separate the parents from the fry and if so, how long after they're free-swimming? If they spawn right next to the sponge filters, is that an issue?

JUST RELAX GET YA CAMERA AND WAIT FOR THE SHOW. THEY WILL BE FINE. YOU WILL BE AMAZED AT THE PARENTING SKILLS. LEAVE EVERYTHING AS IS AND ADD MAYBEE A PIECE OF SLATE OR FLAT STONE IN THERE. THEY ARE BIG TIME BREEDERS. BY THAT I MEAN THEY ARE WORSE THEN CONVICTS. I HAVE A MALE THAT STOLE THE FEMALE CONVICT FROM A MALE CONVICT. THAT REALLY SURPRISED ME AS THEY HAD HAD ABOUT 5 SPAWNS ALREADY. ALSO THE MALE WILL GET SOME REALLY NICE COURTING COLORS TOO AND HE KNOWS IT :D. GOOD LUCK AND LOOKING FORWARD TO "IVE GOT EGGS" AND PICS!:jumpy:

Tony

Awesome! Thanks a ton for the advise, DQ. As excited as I was when I typed the first post, I've even more stoked now. :)

The tank that they are in is a bit stained on the outside, but will definitely take some picks.

w00t!

Jumbie

Members

Just put some Marvin Gaye or some Barry White, turn the lights down low and let them do their thing lol. You could always add another pot if you like but you don't have to. I think leaving them in with the parents should be ok (that’s what some people do with their convicts and the fry do fine). The best person to ask would be mat and see what he says; I hope that they spawn for you have fun and do like DQ said and have that camera ready.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Good luck on the spawn, Tony. Pretty soon, you'll have so many you won't know what to do with them.

dogofwar

CCA Members
These fish have a different color for every mood!

You can tell they've spawned by when the female turns light with bars and goes psycho

if the couple is struggling to bond, then add them to a tank with other fish...

You can also divide them, feed them well, let them court through the divider and let them reunite for the act

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Soak their food with some Flying Dog beer and they'll be going at it like crazy. LOL!

Good Luck Tony Tony Tone ;)

Tony

Thanks guys. Totally excited. She hasn't gone nuts yet, lol.

I got home a bit late yesterday and they seemed to be about the same as the day before... no eggs yet.

I'll keep you posted and hopefully, I'll have pictures soon. :)

dogofwar

CCA Members
I've only got a couple of F2 pairs (3+" male, ~2" female) left... These are grandkids of the ones Ken Davis collected from the Rio Jutiapa in Honduras.

I need to take some pics of my F1 breeders. Male's pushing 6"... females stay small (maybe 3"). They're in breeding dress now, which means that there are eggs somewere.