• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

African cichlid fight

CichlidDan

Members
Hello everyone, so one of my African cichlids I got this Sunday at the marketplace got beat up pretty badly while I was at work yesterday, I seperated him and about 30 minutes after I separated him he was upside down and looked lifeless I put some aquarium salt and about an hour later he was back to swimming a little. Today he is swimming almost normal but he is not eating. I will continue to use the aquarium salt. My question is what is the best medicine to treat missing scales, fins that are shredded and are there any tricks to getting him to eat?

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Melafix is great for torn fins and sore spots on fish. Split fins often are repaired in a day or two.

Freshwater fish can go for more than two weeks without eating and no problems. So relax, he should be fine not eating for a couple days or more. Getting beat up somehow makes living things less hungry at least until they are starting to mend.

Rasta Fish

Members
some live food like brine shrimp I found to be effective to get them to start eating again ..
Shredded fins missing scales can't do much about that clean water and salt should work it will eventually grow back ..
I guess what Frank says too