• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Lighting for a 40b planted

ddavila06

Members
can you tell us what the plan is other tank the tank size:

plant choice, substrate, co2-no co2, ferts, fish choice.

the best lighting choice will greatly depend on the path you choose to follow

npbarca

Members
For plants, swords and grasses and some floating plants. I want the tank to be dim. PFS for the substrate unless I need something else for plants. For fish, tetras, cories, plecos, 1 or 2 wild angels, dwarf cichlids etc.

Thai

Members
Anything in the 6500-1000k spectrum will grow. I use 6700k t5ho, have a 36" 4x39w fixture on my 40

Becca

Members
A dual-strip T8 bulb would be enough for that - 1 colormax, 1 floramax type bulb.

A dual strip T5 would work, too, same basic idea. Check out the specs on those bulbs. I like my double strip deep blue pro fixtures that I got from Ken's.

ddavila06

Members
that particular one comes w a 65k and something else, i dont like the "something else" one.lol, plus the 10k benefits the plants and the 65k does the same.

npbarca

Members
Ok so I will get the fixture and the 10k. Do I need any special additives for the substrate. Also, do I need "plant food"?

ddavila06

Members
Pool filter sand

ahhhhh, i knew that@ dohh... that is pretty inert stuff so it wont supply any nutrients to any of the plants,...my tanks that have sand usually have anubias attached to rocks/wood, and ferns attached to things....im trying hairgrass---so far so good. enjoy

npbarca

Members
I will have a lot of driftwood to attach the swords to. The hair grass will be in the sand. Does anyone know the little floating plants that look like clovers with small stems?

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I will have a lot of driftwood to attach the swords to. The hair grass will be in the sand. Does anyone know the little floating plants that look like clovers with small stems?

I've got tons lol I can give you some they grow really fast
They are considered a pest in local waters...but that's another story

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app