• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Black vs. Clear silicone?

Becca

Members
Yesterday I made a big (sort of accidental) impulse buy - a large metaframe tank that needs to be resealed.

During the auction, the auctioneer noted that black silicone was available and someone else came up to me and mentioned that they had some black silicone at home.

Here's my question - is there a difference between black silicone and clear silicone?

Also, is there a specific type of silicone that would be best for a resealing job like this?

mchambers

Former CCA member
Sort of accidental? You walked in to the auction and said to me, "Is that a metaframe tank?" We then discussed its merits and drawbacks.

Your purchase was entirely premeditated.

I hope you enjoy it!

I think black silicone should be fine, if you can find some without any antimicrobial and antifungal additives.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Here's my question - is there a difference between black silicone and clear silicone?

Also, is there a specific type of silicone that would be best for a resealing job like this?

Black silicone is a popular choice because clear silicone will become stained by certain meds and will also turn white or cloudy over time.

As for the specific type to use, I will leave that to others to answer.

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
I've Used GE 1 from lowes or Home Depot for years without
Any problems . Just a note to remember silicon will not stick to dried silicon
make sure you remove all the old. Goo Gone works well for that.

I also use ge silicone 1 but you can really use any brand as long as its labeled silicone 1, anything else is toxic.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JasonC

Members
Sort of accidental? You walked in to the auction and said to me, "Is that a metaframe tank?" We then discussed its merits and drawbacks.

Your purchase was entirely premeditated.

Hey! Snitches get stitches!! The lady said it was "accidental"! ;P

Great buy though considering the 55gal metaframe went for over $100...

Becca

Members
Hey! Snitches get stitches!! The lady said it was "accidental"! ;P

Great buy though considering the 55gal metaframe went for over $100...

Exactly. It was accidental in that I did not think that my $35 bid was going to win it and I was nearly certain that I would not have the money to actually win it.

I seriously CAN'T believe I got that thing for $35 and I am super thankful that someone helped me get it home affordably, too.

Becca

Members
Also, what is the best tactic for doing the silicone? I know that when you smooth it out you have to go continuously and that wet silicone won't stick to dry, but at some point there has to be a break... I mean, I can smooth the whole bottom out and one corner seam and then do the next 3 corner seams...

I know I need a "plan" because I only have so long to smooth everything once I've got the silicone in and I also know I'm going to have some trouble reaching the bottom of the tank.

I'd consider sitting in the tank if I wasn't worried about cracking the bottom, but I'm not exactly light.

Applying the silicone to all the seems is a pretty quick process. If you do the bottom without lifting when you start the sides jist add a bit extra to the bottom corners. Wet silicone does stick to wet silicone so I'd do the bottom then the sides before smoothing any then once its all on start smoothing. Its an amazingly quick process and don't mess with it as it dries you will only mess it up. I always feel like I might be able to get it a little smoother or neater but its very counter productive to even try. The best thing to keep it neat is a good tape job. That part takes the longest after the removal of old silicone.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I hear ya. I hate taping, and removing tape. It is my least favorite part of painting.

Hey I have black silicone on one of my tanks weird never thought twice about color. 100% silicon no matter the brand just no additives as for resealing I can help prob Friday...dep on the wife (I know she's alway with me but an extra pair of hands to watch the kids rights)
BA7CB79C-5A6E-4FC9-ABA7-FDEE0D043492.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
BC590499-B380-4F0C-A77F-799C8E2D86A7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Last edited:

Becca

Members
Hey I have black silicone on one of my tanks weird never thought twice about color. 100% silicon no matter the brand just no additives as for resealing I can help prob Friday...dep on the wife (I know she's alway with me but an extra pair of hands to watch the kids rights)
BA7CB79C-5A6E-4FC9-ABA7-FDEE0D043492.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
BC590499-B380-4F0C-A77F-799C8E2D86A7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

I am not attempting this until the last week of June, when I'm off because day care is on vacation.

daninmd

Members
if you want I have an old leaking 10g tank you can have for free for practice if you want. probably wouldn't hurt to practice on another tank as I am sure there will be a few things learned after doing it the first time. wouldn't have to re-scrape, etc and could nail it on your 55

Becca

Members
if you want I have an old leaking 10g tank you can have for free for practice if you want. probably wouldn't hurt to practice on another tank as I am sure there will be a few things learned after doing it the first time. wouldn't have to re-scrape, etc and could nail it on your 55

Wait, what would I nail to my 55?

I wouldn't mind a practice run - will you be at the May meeting?

Jeff721

Members
During the auction, the auctioneer noted that black silicone was available and someone else came up to me and mentioned that they had some black silicone at home.

I believe that was Matt Chambers who said that he had some while I was auctioneering. Goes by MChambers on here.