• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Workshop Ideas?

Becca

Members
I was just looking up "how to" information for Hamburg mattenfilters and I realized that this would be a great thing to do a workshop on - maybe at a member's house, or at one of the upcoming meetings.

I also thought that building racks/stands would be another good workshop.

Maybe someone with experience could lead the workshop(s) and list the items that participants will need. Participants can buy their materials and bring them to the work shop and then get expert instruction on how to build a filter, rack, whatever.

What other ideas do people have? Is this something that others would be interested in?

chriscoli

Administrator
good ideas!

The HMF is so simple....it'd be a 5 minute workshop, so we'd want to pair it with something else.

I had always wanted to do a stand building workshop....if we stuck with small-ish stands, but used concepts that can be scaled up, I think that'd draw a few people.

In the meantime, check out Ted Judy's rack building videos....that's what I've been using.

Becca

Members
good ideas!

The HMF is so simple....it'd be a 5 minute workshop, so we'd want to pair it with something else.

I had always wanted to do a stand building workshop....if we stuck with small-ish stands, but used concepts that can be scaled up, I think that'd draw a few people.

In the meantime, check out Ted Judy's rack building videos....that's what I've been using.

I've seen it. I have an irrational fear of power tools and a somewhat rational fear of being drowned in the 150 - LOL!!!

Other thoughts would be simple centralized plumbing for fish rooms - e.g., pipes that connect and go out to a drain so you don't have to use a bucket for water changes - and building those whacky soda bottle filters that Doug makes.

chriscoli

Administrator
I'd love to learn how to properly drill a tank. I've done it, but always get micro-cracks that grow once it's set up. (granted....I was drilling 10 gallon tanks).

I was also told that holding the drill by hand practically guarantees cracks later on....

JasonC

Members
DIY LED's?

So with all these short topics, what about on a non meeting day doing a progressive dinner style night... Each stop at someones house... fishroom tour, short DIY demo/project, little food.. and if there are DD's, a little booze?

Just a thought..

Breeding workshop diy
Egg tumbler
Tank dividers
Breeder box
Pleco caves
Sponge filters......
All the small stuff that wouldn't be worth its own workshop.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Becca

Members
DIY LED's?

So with all these short topics, what about on a non meeting day doing a progressive dinner style night... Each stop at someones house... fishroom tour, short DIY demo/project, little food.. and if there are DD's, a little booze?

Just a thought..

I would happily offer my house up for this :D, although I don't have any skills to teach anyone :unsure:

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
All great ideas. Another one could be for starting a brand new tank; design features given the prospective inhabitants (sizing, rocks/hiding/breeding, base materials, plants, filtration, etc.), getting the biology going, etc.

daninmd

Members
I'd love to learn how to properly drill a tank. I've done it, but always get micro-cracks that grow once it's set up. (granted....I was drilling 10 gallon tanks).

I was also told that holding the drill by hand practically guarantees cracks later on....

could do this right before the actual meetings since it doesn't take too long. when I was a WAMAS member, there was a hole cutting demonstration. in addition to the tanks that were drilled, they also brought in a 55g (tempered glass) and drilled that one. was really cool seeing that thing disintegrate :D

its not too hard to do, the best tip I have seen was to make a circular dam with plumbers putty so that you create a pool of water over the cutting surface. this should stop the cracking as it keeps the glass from heating up from the bit. and go slow, with no pressure.

chriscoli

Administrator
its not too hard to do, the best tip I have seen was to make a circular dam with plumbers putty so that you create a pool of water over the cutting surface. this should stop the cracking as it keeps the glass from heating up from the bit. and go slow, with no pressure.

Yep, did all of that....but I was drilling 10s which from what others have said is a bad idea....glass is too thin.

I went reeeeeeallly slow, no pressure, tried to minimize rocking. By the time I did one, my back and girly arms were dying just from trying to keep the majority of the weight of the drill off the tank. I also did that thing where you clamp a piece of wood under the glass where you're drilling.

I was also told to just get a drill press instead.