• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sponge filters

olzkool

Members
After visiting another members fish room to pick up some fish, I am now in full fish room plan mode. It had an air pump and pvcvwith little valves screwed into it. Currently I have 14 tanks, with the exception of the 3 show tanks upstairs, they are all running AC hob's. In the next month I am going to take advantage of the $1 gal sale, buy an air pump, build some racks, and set up the fish room I want. I am going to have 4 75's, then a mix of 40 longs, 30s, 20's, 10's, etc. No way i want the expense of putting hob's on all the tanks. I have never used sponges. I could use some recommendations on brands, sizes, etc. also where to get those little valve that screw into the PVC pipes. Should I keep the 110's on the 75's for the water movement? Will the sponges keep the tanks clear like the hob's? Anything else I need to know?
Thanks in advance

Jmty

Members
I got sponges on smaller than 50,any bigger goy my canister and sponges,valves got then from ken's,buy the best you can afford out of 25 only 2 came bad.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Kensfish, Stith Aquatics, or Swiss Tropicals are good places to start for new filters. I like the new hydra brand (at least I think that is what they are called) and the Swiss Tropcials poret blocks for mine. I also run box filters for mechanical in my smaller tanks so the sponges don't get clogged so quickly.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Really any of the brands will work well. Buy from one of our sponsors or members.

I use an (air-driven) sponge and an (air-driven) box filter in each tank.

I run a lot of air through the boxes (for primarily mechanical filtration) and less through the sponges (so that they're operating primarily for biological).

Tanks with a box and a sponge will stay cleaner than just a sponge.

Matt

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I get brass air valves from Aquatic Eco-Systems. They have a deal on 25. They are the best valves (my opinion) but are expensive compared to plastic or stainless steel.

I use two of the large round sponge filters in many of my tanks, particularly if there are lots of fish and I am feeding heavily to get better growth. They keep the tank clean until they are packed with stuff. SO when the water is not as clear as it was it is past time to rinse out the sponge filters. Or if you have a couple sponge filters in each tank, rinse one of them every other week or so and the water will remain clear. Of course you still need to do water changes on a frequent basis, like once a week.