• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

why having 2 FX5 canisters?

frankoq

Members
Starting to see more people using 2 FX5s in their tanks. why?
I'm all for extra filtration, but at what point do you consider adding the second one?
I have a 90g with an FX5 and 2 power heads.
before I added the powerheads, poop would collect on the sand.
Once I added the powerheads, the substrate stays clean.
the 90g seems fine with one filter.
I'm thinking on upgrading to a 180g or larger and wondering if 2 filters are needed. The tank will be a bit overstocked with Malawi Cichlids.

Your thoughts?

chriscoli

Administrator
But, as you've already done, look at your tank and see if it needs it.....maybe in your instance your filtration, stocking, feeding, and regular maintenance are working well for your tank.

If any of those change, maybe you'll want more filtration in the future.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I run 2 FX5's on my 180. Seems to get the job done. I would think that a single FX5 would be sufficient for a 90 from a capacity perspective, but I always like to run multiple filters on tanks in case one fails.

frankoq

Members
I run 2 FX5's on my 180. Seems to get the job done. I would think that a single FX5 would be sufficient for a 90 from a capacity perspective, but I always like to run multiple filters on tanks in case one fails.

Good point Jon. I wasn't thinking on a backup.
I think 1 does fine on my 90g with the help of the power heads.
But if I do go for the larger tank, I think I will go for the second canister.
Thanks for the comments.

kevin911

Members
I don't know if it's just me but I use dual canister when I'm stress on space under the tank. Otherwise I'm running wet dry /sump with a canister.

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I run 2 fx5s on my 135. I run one fx5 and an ac110 on my 125. For me it is about filtration as much as it is about surface agitation.

madcobra216

Members
I run 2 FX5 on my 180, I think its necessary, & the positioning of them is also very important, because in a 6ft tank, you will find a few 'dead spots' & so the circulation is very important

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ading522

Members
I run 2 FX5 on my 180, I think its necessary, & the positioning of them is also very important, because in a 6ft tank, you will find a few 'dead spots' & so the circulation is very important

+1 ..I too run 2 fx5's on my overstocked 125..have 2 powerheads on it as well.. One aimed right behind the rocks into an intake.. I also put the intakes on different levels.. Got an airpump in for agitation as well..I keep the air stones closer to the surface, and away from the intakes to prevent air from going into the canister.. I sometimes run a ac50..

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

frankoq

Members
+1 ..I too run 2 fx5's on my overstocked 125..have 2 powerheads on it as well.. One aimed right behind the rocks into an intake.. I also put the intakes on different levels.. Got an airpump in for agitation as well..I keep the air stones closer to the surface, and away from the intakes to prevent air from going into the canister.. I sometimes run a ac50..

Do you have a picture of your tank?

frankoq

Members

where do you have your intakes and outputs?

Ading522

Members
Roger that. I got the 2 FX5s and now its a matter on where to put the outputs/returns.

I put the inputs on different levels of the tank close to the direction of the powerhead, and the outputs on the corners angled differently..I'm experimenting with "flow direction" to keep the detritus moving and into the intakes or at least into the powerhead current.. And so far my tank bottom is clean..:)

Ading522

Members
This is my current setup now..with my relaxing office chair in front..lol..stock is now a colony of Frontosa, female o.tanganyicae, female albino eureka red, and female o.nasuta tiger.. Its a peaceful tank..

uploadfromtaptalk1394633591135.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1394633609261.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1394633623550.jpg

frankoq

Members
Aldrich,
Thanks for the pics. Nice tank btw! what kind of rock is that?
I will have 2 power heads and will consider your set up for the intake/outputs.

Ading522

Members
Thanks! Rocks I have in there is granite.. At least that's what I think it is.. :) I love the black rock with white streaks here and there.. And it makes it look a little natural.. I don't make a lot of small crevices on the rocks..helps to not have small food and detritus stick in there and lower water quality..

frankoq

Members
Also, where can I get intake tube? I'd like 2 long pieces to cut to custom size.
Do LFS have tube that will fit the FX5 intake head?