• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

removing scratches from glass/acrylic

frankoq

Members
Sorry if a repost. It could be useful since we have been discussing scratches lately.

[YT]f6-L0zvGWfY[/YT]

Siklid

Members
Buffing and polishing glass is an extremely man-hour intensive and tedious process - it is hard.

There are two ways to remove a scratch 1) heat to liquefy the glass; melting the scratch away, or 2) buffing; creating small scratches that remove the larger scratch.

If you do not use the correct materials and techniques, you could wind up making a mess (a haze over the main scratch).

Attempt this will caution - can you live with the scratch(s).

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Do a test fill on the 180 before you try to start any polishing. I've noticed that a lot of scratches that appear when the tank is empty, aren't really visible when the tank is full of water. Would at least help you identify the worst of them, and at best you might realize it looks fine without any work.

frankoq

Members
Do a test fill on the 180 before you try to start any polishing. I've noticed that a lot of scratches that appear when the tank is empty, aren't really visible when the tank is full of water. Would at least help you identify the worst of them, and at best you might realize it looks fine without any work.

I will do that. Crossing fingers that its not too bad.

Raven20

Members
My tank has scratches...I called 5 glass co and they won't touch it...there afraid it's going to get distorted...I called Tom at Glasscages and ask for any advice...he told me straight up to live with it...nothing can be done..

harlowe777

Members
My 240 is 1" thick acrillic..I use mguiers plastic/ acrilic polish..its gritty..and elbo greese. Ive got large scratches out..its the best..

JChitty

Members
For removing acrylics scratches... You might want to check out my video that i
posted in this forum some time ago. I've never had to much success with removing scratches from glass.

daninmd

Members
My 240 is 1" thick acrillic..I use mguiers plastic/ acrilic polish..its gritty..and elbo greese. Ive got large scratches out..its the best..

huge difference in getting scratches out of glass vs acrylic. acrylic is very easy compared to glass. even a small scratch is dang near impossible to removed from glass. you can removed it from acrylic pretty quickly if you have the right tools.