• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Powerhead recommendations?

Becca

Members
For a 150 gallon.

We're using a MaxiJet 1200 with a vinturi. The wood shrimp like it and it helps ensure surface movement if filters get clogged, etc. I got it 2nd hand and it seems to be dying. It may just need a new impeller, but I figured I'd check and see what people like.

I do like the vinturi feature because it allows us to infuse extra air into the tank if it gets really hot or something else is going on.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I like the maxijets (except the suction cups for the brackets suck and once a month they fall off the side of the tank and blow sand all over the place). I have a few Aquaclear 70's, and they move a lot of water but are expensive and the venturi doesn't work as well as the maxijets. I'd like to try the Cobalt ones as I have been satisfied with all of the other Cobalt products I've used.

Becca

Members
I'd like to try the Cobalt ones as I have been satisfied with all of the other Cobalt products I've used.

Really? I have not been satisfied with the cobalt heater I have. I tried to use it to replace the failing one in my 29 and had to add a 2nd heater to stabilize the temperature. It's 100 watts, so that's more than 3 watts per gallon if the tank were empty. It's not empty, it is loaded with driftwood and probably holds 20-25 gallons of water.

The guy from Cobalt did tell me that the Cobalt powerheads were basically maxijets with better parts.

I hear ya on the maxijet suction cups, though ours doesn't fall off that often because we reaffix it every time we clean the prefilter on it (every other day). Ahhhh planted tanks.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
While it's not a powerhead per se, I like my Koralia circulation pumps. Lots of water movement. However, no Venturi feature.

Blaise

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Really? I have not been satisfied with the cobalt heater I have. I tried to use it to replace the failing one in my 29 and had to add a 2nd heater to stabilize the temperature. It's 100 watts, so that's more than 3 watts per gallon if the tank were empty. It's not empty, it is loaded with driftwood and probably holds 20-25 gallons of water.

I've got 3 of the Accu therm heaters in service now without a problem. Two of them have only been set up for a few weeks (a 75W on a 20H and a 50W on a 10G) and both are holding temps within .5 degrees from the setting on the dials.

Becca

Members
I've got 3 of the Accu therm heaters in service now without a problem. Two of them have only been set up for a few weeks (a 75W on a 20H and a 50W on a 10G) and both are holding temps within .5 degrees from the setting on the dials.

I have the "indestructible" one that I won in the AB competition. It might be indestructible, but it doesn't seem to be accurate or to heat as efficiently as my Eheim Jager heaters. That said, I have issues with the accuracy of the Jager heaters (you can calibrate them to an extent, but I have problems with the calibration doohickey getting jammed), but I've never had issues with them failing to heat a tank.

chriscoli

Administrator
My Maxijets have been dying....they seem to have impeller problems (not restarting, etc) pretty early on. I'm not talking about one incident.....I've been disappointed by several now.

I'm switching over to Cobalt to give them a try. Haven't had one die yet, but it's still pretty early.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I am a big fan of the Korailia's and the Aqueon power heads. The are compact powerful because they are geared for Salt water hobbyist and have great product support. I have a Korailia 850 in my 90G and its almost too much.