• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Anyone have a smoker I could borrow?

chris_todd

Members
Hi folks, been a long time since I posted here, but I'm not dead yet!

My daughter and I will be competing in a KCBS BBQ competition in early October (http://highpointbbqbattle.com/), and our smoker (a Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5in) is not big enough to do all four meats (brisket, pork butt, ribs, and chicken). We could do brisket and butt at the same time, or ribs and chicken, but if we only use one smoker, that means we need to pull off the brisket and butt roughly 5 hours before turn in, and we'd like to avoid that.

So does anyone have a smoker I could borrow the weekend of October 10-11? It would be awesome if it were a Weber Smokey Mountain, as I know how to use those, but I'd be interested in anything anyone has to offer. I'm just trying to avoid spending another $300 to get a second WSM.

chris_todd

Members
Can you use an electric? If so you can borrow my Bradley.
Alas, no, electric smokers are verboten in KCBS-sanctioned competitions. Wood, wood pellets, or charcoal only.

Alternatively, does anyone know of someplace I could rent a smoker?

Thanks,
Chris

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Hey Chris!

Maria was talking about having a BBQ one more time before the end of the season... some weekend her mother will be in town. I don't think it is that one and if we're not using it, you are absolutely welcome to borrow it. It's a Char Broil horizontal smoker. Nothing fancy, no bells and whistles, but fits a bunch of meat and does the trick just fine for me.

I'll get back to you after I talk to her, but am fairly certain it's not that weekend she's got in mind.

Cheers.

chris_todd

Members
Thanks for letting me borrow your smoker, Tony! We had a great time, and came in 19th out of 25 teams. Since this was our first comp ever, it feels like a win that we didn't finish last! We couldn't have done it without your help, so Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Daltharang

Members
Congrats! Really wish i would have joined the forum prior to this event. I manage BBQ Country in Opal, Va. We smoke all our meat in store on a 25 ft long open pit. We also have a very large "pit" on wheels trailer with tags/lights and all to make it road legal to be pulled behind a car/truck. If you are in need of it in the future welcome to let me know. I could deliver it and pick it up when finished.

And if anyone else is in the area stop by for some BBQ! :D We do all the same meats daily. Pork shoulders, brisket, chicken, ribs, sausage all smoked on open pit. 18 hours for pork/brisket. Only thing i like talking as much as fish is BBQ lol
:D

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Congrats! Really wish i would have joined the forum prior to this event. I manage BBQ Country in Opal, Va. We smoke all our meat in store on a 25 ft long open pit. We also have a very large "pit" on wheels trailer with tags/lights and all to make it road legal to be pulled behind a car/truck. If you are in need of it in the future welcome to let me know. I could deliver it and pick it up when finished.

And if anyone else is in the area stop by for some BBQ! :D We do all the same meats daily. Pork shoulders, brisket, chicken, ribs, sausage all smoked on open pit. 18 hours for pork/brisket. Only thing i like talking as much as fish is BBQ lol
:D

Great to know, John! Not down in Culpepper that often, but will keep your restaurant in mind for sure. Definitely need to pick your brain at some point once BBQ season rolls back around.

I only really do shoulders and ribs now, but am interested in playing with some brisket at some point.

Cheers!

Daltharang

Members
Brisket is actually my absolute favorite by far of everything we make lol. The store is actually about 25 miles north of Culpeper on rt 29 just outside of Warrenton. Also i dont know where you get your meat for smoking, but it would be nothing to add a couple things to our current 2 times a week order :) and probably be a lot cheaper.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...4-BBQ_Country-Warrenton_Virginia.html#REVIEWS

heres some reviews :D cant please everyone, but who can?