• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Help with ID? Type of sucker fish

Wydukey1991

Members
I have a decent pic of it now on my phone but mobile website nor the app will let me upload it. Idk y but it keeps telling me I need to login to upload the image even tho I am logged in.

Sent from my MB611 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lonlangione

Members
I agree with Todd. It is most likely Garra rufa. They have been imported in the past few years and used in spas. People get into a spa filled with these fish and the fish peck at their skin. They are also known as doctor fish. Their are companies that sell the spas and the fish. Fishbase says the adults get to 14cm so that would be about 5 1/2" - 6". There is another species, Garra flavrata that is sold under the name of Panda Garra. When I worked for Tony's Tropical Fish in York before he closed we sold a lot of these as well as the rufa. They are from Myanmar. The flavrata have a banded pattern, hence the name panda. I'm not sure but the could lose that pattern once the get to adult size. If your fish has any red coloration in it's caudal fin it could be flavrata. Both fish are recent imports within the last 6 - 8 years.