• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

RO System build

Forester

Members
Hi everyone,

I am in the process of upgrading my fish room (18 tanks all ready in the garage) and since I am going to be doing L-number plecos in almost all of the tanks I think it would be very beneficial to have an RO system.

My dilemma is that I do not have access to a constant water supply to attach the system to. However I do have space for barrels or bins to store both the RO water and the tap water that it filters.

I will also need some way for it to stop pumping once a certain level is reached so that my floor doesn't end up covered in water.

Finally what size RO system should I get? How many stages and how many GPD?

Thanks in advance for all the help,

Lucas

Forester

Members
I have the basic setup from Bulk Reef Supply http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-reverse-osmosis-filters-systems.html plus I have a lot of the addons including auto shutoff. They have some great videos on how to set them up, so I'd start my homework there.

There are cheaper systems out there than theirs, but their stuff is made in America, they donated to Aquamania, and they've got excellent customer support.

Thanks for the advice. I've already looked through the Internet for a few days and have found a few good options on Amazon. So what I really need is a way to do the RO without a constant water supply. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

verbal

CCA Members
Do you have a drain - or way to dump water outside in your new fish room?

Generally the most common arrangement is to set-up the RO near the house's plumbing and running the output to the holding tanks. If you want to be really clever you could run both your RO and waste water to your fish room. The waste water is fine, just a little higher hardness - so it might be better for livebearers and tanks where you aren't conditioning for spawning.

Forester

Members
Do you have a drain - or way to dump water outside in your new fish room?

Generally the most common arrangement is to set-up the RO near the house's plumbing and running the output to the holding tanks. If you want to be really clever you could run both your RO and waste water to your fish room. The waste water is fine, just a little higher hardness - so it might be better for livebearers and tanks where you aren't conditioning for spawning.

I have a window, which is what I currently use to get rid of the water from water changes.

Would it be possible for me to get a big trash bin or two for the tap water then a bin for the RO and one for the waste?

Would the waste water be fine for my bristlenose grow outs?

Thanks for the help

chriscoli

Administrator
Just keep in mind that you will have 3 or 4 times the waste (and that's on an average-to-good system)....so for every gallon of RO. You'll have 3 or 4 of waste.

Forester

Members
Just keep in mind that you will have 3 or 4 times the waste (and that's on an average-to-good system)....so for every gallon of RO. You'll have 3 or 4 of waste.

Is the waste water still fine for grow out tanks? I can size the bins accordingly. Thanks

dogofwar

CCA Members
One approach would be to run a hose from an external spigot. My fishroom in California was in our detached garage. It had no hot water supply but had a cold water spigot outside. For aging water, I ran a hose on an auto-shut-off to a 150g watering trough and heated it (or allowed nature to heat it) there.

You could run your RO system similarly: Through a hose to he RO and then to a storage bin (or bins).

Whether the waste would be suitable for grow-outs depends on the parameters. I think it's typically used for African cichlids.

Christine - what are the parameters of your waste stream?

Matt

Forester

Members
Matt,

There is no real chance for me to get my parents to let me run a permanent pipe through the hallway. However I can simply fill the tap water bin whenever it runs out.

How does this setup look?

The maximum RO that I would ever need would be 65 gallons a week so if I stagger water changes with at least three a week I should have plenty of RO.

I am getting an RO system from Bruno so that's probably the one I'll be using.

Thanks for the help,

Lucas

uploadfromtaptalk1451225320152.jpg

dogofwar

CCA Members
Sounds like a pain to use and a lot of space for water storage (vs. tanks).

Matt

Matt,

There is no real chance for me to get my parents to let me run a permanent pipe through the hallway. However I can simply fill the tap water bin whenever it runs out.

How does this setup look?

The maximum RO that I would ever need would be 65 gallons a week so if I stagger water changes with at least three a week I should have plenty of RO.

I am getting an RO system from Bruno so that's probably the one I'll be using.

Thanks for the help,

Lucas

Becca

Members
Just install rain barrels and keep a few storage tanks around to get you through the winter. Much more environmentally friendly, wastes less water, etc...

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Forester

Members
Sounds like a pain to use and a lot of space for water storage (vs. tanks).

Matt

I guess I can try peat for awhile and if it is really necessary I can do the RO. The space is not really an issue because I am not permitted to have any more tanks that aren't on the two big racks anyway.

Thanks for the advice,

Lucas

Forester

Members
Just install rain barrels and keep a few storage tanks around to get you through the winter. Much more environmentally friendly, wastes less water, etc...

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

That's a great idea! My parents really want rain barrels so it's a win win. Thanks, I will be sure to share once we have them set up.

lkelly

Members
Christine - what are the parameters of your waste stream?
Matt

You CCAers are a pretty close knit, personal bunch.

yak-pravilno-zdati-analz-sech-zagalniy-po-nechiporenko_791.jpeg

chriscoli

Administrator
Rolling my eyes at the BOTH of you!

Seriously, though, I've never measured the waste, but I will next time I run the filter. I do have a dual membrane setup so I'm not sure how that will correlate to a single membrane setup.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Keep in mind that the RO waste water contains all the concentrated dissolved solids that were removed from your good water. This means that it will have a concentration at least 33% higher in dissolved solids than your tap water (assuming 3:1 ratio of waste to good water).

The good news is that the waste water is sediment filtered and also carbon filtered. Although the levels of calcium, magnesium and alkalinity will be higher than your tap water, it will otherwise be cleaner than your tap water. Unless your tap water is already very hard you shouldn't have any problem using it for growouts of BN. Just be sure you acclimate the fry to the harder water. Start them out in the RO water and then do gradual water changes with the harder water (maybe start with tap first) to acclimate them.

Also keep in mind that you are making 3 gallons of wastewater (at the minimum) for every gallon of good water. If you put an auto shut off on your good water line but don't have a drain for the wastewater line you will have already dumped 2 barrels of waste water onto the floor before the good water line shuts off when that barrel is full.

Andy

Rain barrels are a great idea and I installed one this summer. Just remember that in freezing weather they can freeze solid. I had to drain mine to keep it from rupturing from the ice.

Forester

Members
Rain barrels are a great idea and I installed one this summer. Just remember that in freezing weather they can freeze solid. I had to drain mine to keep it from rupturing from the ice.

How many do you have? Do you ever end up without enough water? That's the main issue that I'm worried about. Thanks

dogofwar

CCA Members
I've always been concerned about contaminants in rainwater (e.g. chemicals from shingles or elsewhere). No issues?