• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New tank questions

LaurenH

Members
Starting to plan/continuing to save for a new tank that I would like to be an African show tank once we finally find a new house to purchase locally. I was hoping for something at least 125 gallons but hopefully more. Not sure yet if I want to transfer Tanganyikans from my existing tank or start something totally new. What are people's opinions on acrylic versus glass? Weight concerns or things I should look for as we continue to look at houses? I keep getting told the house will need extra weight bearing features or a concrete basement floor to get something 200 gallons or more.

Thanks for the advice!

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I recently purchased my first acrylic tank and I really like it. Compared to a glass tank, it is light as a feather. If I were to purchase a new tank, I would definitely go with acrylic.

JLW

CCA Members
I don't think the weight factor is really something to consider for a tank, unless you plan on frequently moving it. You're going to have close to a thousand pounds with stand, gravel, decorations, and especially water. What's it matter if its glass or acrylic?

The biggest difference in the two materials, IMO, is durability. Glass is tough to scratch. Acrylic is very easy to scratch. Once you scratch glass, it's permanent. You can repair acrylic (sometimes, and up to a point). The key thing is that once your acrylic is badly scratched up, which will happen, the tank needs to be replaced, too. I'd rather stick with glass, which has a relatively low risk of getting scratched.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Overall, acrylic will be better but if money is an issue, a glass 120 is in no means a bad tank. My 120 is really old and covered in scratches but imo, it still looks great. If you can find an acrylic tank in your price range, I'd get it.