• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

75 gallon Lighting Advise

skanda

Members
Hi Everyone,

I am looking a lighting fixture for my 75 gallon tank with low to medium light plants namely java fern, valls, rottala indica .. I was using an Aqueon dual light T5 fixture for this tank until the ballast burnt on me. I am on the look out for a 48" fixture. I was thinking of going the LED route and go with a either a Current LED, Finnex LED, or Aquoen Modular LED. As some say, T5 work better with plants and I was also thinking of a Coralife T5 fixture.

Can anyone please provide some experience with any of these light fixtures?

Thanks

Angelote

Members
I can speak on the Coralife T5, I recently bought one for my 75 gal about 6 months ago. It's a nice fixture, but is finicky when it comes to the pairing of the bulbs. One bulb was a colormax bulb- for depth penetration and I tried to replace it with a brighter bulb. It worked for a few days, then the bulbs would flicker (which I found out is a manufacturing code for a problem with the bulbs). Also, I just had to replace that colormax bulb! When it blew, the other light went out also.
One a side note - I was frustrated with the Coralife, and ended up replacing the two ballasts in my old fixture (Odyssea), so that may be a route you can go.

ddavila06

Members
I can speak on the Coralife T5, I recently bought one for my 75 gal about 6 months ago. It's a nice fixture, but is finicky when it comes to the pairing of the bulbs. One bulb was a colormax bulb- for depth penetration and I tried to replace it with a brighter bulb. It worked for a few days, then the bulbs would flicker (which I found out is a manufacturing code for a problem with the bulbs). Also, I just had to replace that colormax bulb! When it blew, the other light went out also.
One a side note - I was frustrated with the Coralife, and ended up replacing the two ballasts in my old fixture (Odyssea), so that may be a route you can go.

That seems like way too much trouble imo..

mchambers

Former CCA member
The Finnex Planted+ or the Ray 2 should be good. The Aqueon won't grow many plants. I haven't used Current, so can't be sure, but the new Current Pro probably would be good.

Becca

Members
We have the Current Plus and Pro, love them both. Current pro would give you higher lighting. Probably medium-high range.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Hawkman2000

Members
I have a plus pro on a 37g. Great light. Actualy had to turn it down to 70%. Fully adjustable. Should be perfect for a 75.

The problem I had with the Finnex 24/7 is that the 24/7 mode doesnt allow for customization, at least from what I have read. My friend has one on his 55 and he is very happy with it.

Leffler817

CCA Members
I've heard good things about the current and beamsworks LEDs but have no personal experience with them. I have an Aqueon mod and swapped the included strip with a 'plant' strip. Extras strips were about $20 at Ken's

Howie

Members
Coralife is expensive junk IMO. Bought two 30" fixtures for my 120 off of Amazon and wound up returning it and got a full refund. Bought the Beamswork 60" 10000k with actinics (sp?) off eBay and have been really happy with it and it's clean light coverage in my extra high tank.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I have the current +, the current + pro, the finnex ray 2, and the finnex planted + on various tanks.
The current fixtures are nice in that the remote lets you adjust the color. The plus pro is said to have more par, allowing the light to reach deeper. That said, I love the crisp color of the planted + by finnex and think it is capable of growing the plants you mentioned.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I have the current led. It seems to do fine, I have the basic model & run 2 of them side by side on my 75g. I have java ferns as well they seem fine. I think most lights would work as long as you don't have coral. Only downside to the current is it has no ramp timer built in. But for my set up it serves it's purpose. -Mason B

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I run the Aqueon modular units on all of my tanks. Light is great and the Anubias I have grow like mad. I can't say whether other plants would do well since I don't use ferts or dose CO2 or plant anything in the substrate. I wish I could keep substrate plants. I'm sure someday I'll try again.

The Aqueon systems in my opinion are great because if a bulb breaks or burns out, you can replace it very easily.

carl_d_c

Members
I got one of the Finnex 24/7 for my 75, about 2 weeks ago. The tank is full of anubius, java fern, and some crypts, all are doing well. In the 24/7 mode, you can't really customize it, but, I do like it, it simulates the whole day, and I'm not getting more algae than the otos can take care of.