• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hello hello

Angiepoop

Members
Hello! My name is Angie. I am a member of PVAS who just recently upgraded to a 75g tank that will be planted. I currently have a blank slate to work with in trying to stock this tank. I currently have guppies, 3 cories, 2 5-6" common Plecos, and 2 African Dwarf Frogs.

I'm looking to get peaceful and beautiful community tank safe fish to stock my tank. Nagesh and Damian suggested I browse around over here =)

Hope to get to know everyone soon!
:p

Ading522

Members
Welcome to the forum! don't really know about planted tanks as i am just about to try that route.. it isn't hard to do rocks and sand for african rift lakes.. :) hope you will find the info here useful! lots of people keep planted tanks and i am sure someone will help you out!

With your stocking, you could do South American cichlids of some type. (I do planted tanks with Africans, too, but you'd not be able to keep most of your current stock.)

A 75 is large enough to give you lots of different ways to go, however, the larger South American or Central American cichlids will eat your guppies. I have no idea if your frogs can co-exist with cichlids. And I strongly encourage you to unload at least one (if not both) of your common plecos, which will get enormous. A bristlenose is a far better choice.

some of the easier cichlids to start with include:

A pair (or two) of rainbow cichlids (lots of CCA folks can help you obtain these)
Angelfish
Laetacara of various types
Apistogrammas (particularly the hardier ones)

You might google cichlid-forum.com and check out their species profiles and then come back with some idea of what you like.

Becca

Members
Just a fair warning - something in my 29 is eating my ember tetras the past couple of weeks - I went from 6 of them to 1 of them... The only thing in the tank big enough to do it is my male Rainbow Cichlid. That said, it means small guppies, neon tetras, cardinal tetras, many kinds of danio, and rasboras are probably ALL on the menu.

I haven't caught him doing it, but there isn't another fish in the tank with a mouth big enough for it.

On the other hand, I'd highly recommend any variety of Dicrossus (maculatus, filamentosus) if you can find them. They don't get big enough to eat much. They got some CRS I had, but couldn't eat the slightly larger Amano Shrimp.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I'd suggest adding more corydoras, of the same type that you already have. They tend to be much happier in larger groups.

If you're going to keep the guppies, you could add 2 or 3 pairs of Bolivian rams, which are a relatively peaceful dwarf cichlid.

You also could add some tetras.

zackcrack00

Members
Talk to Frank Cowherd. He sells different types of Ram Cichlids, as well as a GORGEOUS strain of Red Albino Delta Guppies. His screen name is FrankCowherd.

Greengirl

Members
Angelfish would definitely go great with wha tyou have and in a giant tank like a 75, you would have room for more than one pair if you wanted. I have all the angelfish you could want. I have a bunch of adults, sub adults, and dimes and new fry coming. All sales are by donation, and the charity right now is for the Chesapeake Bay Foundation.

AquaStudent

Members
Welcome to the forum! Planted tanks are awesome :p I love the green and red mixing in with the all sorts of colors of the fish.

Angelfish or discus would be great cichlids for a planted tank. There are also a ton of SA/CA cichlids that would be great. You could also go with non-cichlids :p so many options...I'm not very helpful

For Discus take a look at Discus Hans. Angelfish pop up all over and I think Greengirl had some available as a charity fundraiser. Poke around and you'll see some great fish pop up on the marketplace. There's also Batfish Aquatics and a bunch of other sponsors for ordering fish. (Batfish is local so you won't have to ship)