• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

PVAS BOWL SHOW

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
PVAS will hold its annual BOWL SHOW on July 12th.

There will be 14 classes of fish in the show. There will be cash prizes and ribbons. There is no charge to enter fish but you must be a member of PVAS to enter. Cash prizes are $20 for 1st, $10 for 2nd, and either $5 for third or perhaps a container of fish food.

Members and non-members are invited to come see the large variety of great looking fish being kept in the hobby. Think about it, only great looking fish of each variety will be shown, particularly since this year we are not having an ugly fish contest along with the BOWL SHOW.

Entrants gain experience in keep their fish healthy going to and from a show. Since this is a one day show, it is relatively easy on the fish and its owner.

Go to PVAS.com to see BOWL SHOW rules and classes.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I was just on the pvas site but could not find info on the bowl show (other than the date). If someone is more succesful, please paste a direct link to that info within this thread.
Thanks!

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I'd love to join but every time I try to sign up it sais "an email will be sent to you shortly so you can activate your acount" but I never get the email

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I posted the classes you can enter fish in and other information on the PVAS forum. You can search on BOWL SHOW on the PVAS forum to find the threads. The thread on fish classes is http://www.pvas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7071

PVAS membership is usually easy to get, not sure why you had a problem, festaedan. You might contact the membership chairman directly. Membership Chair: membership@pvas.com

You can go to the button that says membership and that gives a button that allow you to pay by PAYPAL. It also gives instructions on how to get an application and then mail it in.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Its no that it doesnt let me become a payed member, it doesnt let me even join so I cant check the forums

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
PVAS' webmaster has recognized the problem with emails related to PVAS membership and should have the problem fixed shortly.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
People including Cristy are working on the problem which is not getting membership but with registering for the PVAS forum. Until this is fixed, please contact Cristy Keister <waterweeder@gmail.com> and she should be able to give you access.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Entry is simple. There is no preregistration. The only requirement is that you be a PVAS member. SOooo, Bring your fish, one fish or invertebrate* (two if the class is for pairs) per bowl or tank to the BOWL SHOW. Then at the door there will be a registration table. You find the registration sheet for the class the fish is in. It will have the Class and class number listed at the top of the sheet. There will be one sheet for each class. Each sheet has 30 numbered lines on it. Print your name, the fish's name (scientific and/or common name) on the first blank line. Then the fish will have an ID which is the class number - line number. SO if the fish is in class 12 and you signed up on line 6, the ID for your fish is 12-6. You use a magic marker to write this number on a piece of Blue Tape (provided/available) and stick it to the bowl or tank. Then carry the container to the correct table - each table will have signs indicating which classes are to be placed on that table.

You can place tanks up to 5 gallons on the table. IF you need a larger tank, you must provide a stand for it.

Please read the rules and other BOWL SHOW related threads on the PVAS forum at http://PVAS.com
There is one on prizes to be awarded.
There is one on "DO you need to condition your fish for the BOWL SHOW?????
We also have a picnic at the event and hope you will bring a dish, see thread on this also. If you do not have time to bring one, you are still welcome. We always have plenty of food.

*Crayfish are illegal to keep or transport in Virginia so they are not allowed in the BOWL SHOW.

This year we will also have a demonstration class on salamanders. SO bring your salamanders if you want. We have some members who want to show off theirs. However, demonstration classes are not eligible for awards.

Last year we rescheduled the BOWL SHOW to Sept due to a mix up on the July date. Yet we had over 120 entrants.

to see what was entered last year, that is, to see what people will probably bring this year, or
To see a list of last years winners go to:
http://www.pvas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=6263&p=42785&hilit=bowl+show#p42785
this is however in the PVAS member's only section of the PVAS forum.

Last edited:

zackcrack00

Members
Thank you, Frank! Very valuable information! I will try to go if my mom says it's okay!

Dan, I will be entering my eel, mollies, some African cichlids, ancistrus and other Plecos, and my Ginga Rubra Guppies IF they mature by then and have some color.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dogofwar

CCA Members
The Tots and I attended last year's and it was a lot of fun seeing such an array of fish.

There's a big overlap between CCA and PVAS membership (like Frank, who's on the board of both), so if you've never been to a PVAS meeting check this one out.

Bring-your-own-tank shows were what I grew up with... makes organizing and staffing them a thousand times easier! I actually joined my first fish club after seeing a fish show in the local mall and bringing a couple of fish (in bowls) the next day to enter the show...

Matt