• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

I know this is random, but...

rich_one

Members
Please humor me. The following series of comments, appear just like this, on another forum. Same conversation, same two people. Is it me, or is it contradictory? I'm just asking, because I don't want to seem like "that guy", if I called it out as such. And yes, there is a slight back story... but right now, I'm just asking... is this exchange, in essence, contradictory, or am I crazy:

Can you recommend a good fish that can hold it's own? Is that kind of behavior from the clown something that would dissipate after a while?

We don't really recommend fish as our tastes and budgets are likely different. We can comment on your choices, however

Would I be better off with a bottom / cave dweller such as a blenny or goby?

Assuming sand, a shrimp goby pair is always interesting

Leffler817

CCA Members
I'm not sure if it determines your level of craziness, :rolleyes: but they're not contradicting each other. They're just saying things with completely opposite meanings regarding the same topic. :wacko: You're so crazy! :D

rich_one

Members
LOL... thanks for the good laugh, Ted. I just decided to not even say anything, and leave it be. It annoyed me because he commented on my stock I was considering, which is cool... its why I posted it there. Like the fellow above, there were a couple of issues. And again, like the fellow above, I asked for a recommendation, and got that very same "tastes and budgets" crap. Honestly, my thought was "wow... you are such a wealthy expert, that your are unable to give an opnion on an affordable option for us commoners?". Wow.

I just didn't want to sound like an arse, since I am a new guy there, and everyone seems to love this guy. But all I could think about was this club, and someone answering someone's stocking question in similar fashion.

"I'm sorry... I can tell you what fish of yours won't work... but I cannot give you any suggestions, because frankly, our budgets and tastes differ." WTF???

Okay. Vent over. Moving on... LOL...

-Rich

mscichlid

Founder
Ted is a misleading and fictious name, as I found out. It is actually Sean Leffler who really likes Ted Nugent.

verbal

CCA Members
I think his point is he won't pick your fish for you, but he will criticize your choices lol.

I think his wording isn't great, but he does have a bit of a point.

How would you respond to "What cichlid should I get for a 20 gallon tank?". Not really enough to go on.

However if someone said "I thinking about getting a group of Neolamprologous brevis for a 20 gallon tank", I think most would comment that was a good choice.

If it was a group of Firemouths, I think most would comment on their need for a bigger tank.

With an oscar and 20 gallon tank, it would be a poor choice, and they probably should think about going a different direction.

rich_one

Members
I think his point is he won't pick your fish for you, but he will criticize your choices lol.

I think his wording isn't great, but he does have a bit of a point.

How would you respond to "What cichlid should I get for a 20 gallon tank?". Not really enough to go on.

However if someone said "I thinking about getting a group of Neolamprologous brevis for a 20 gallon tank", I think most would comment that was a good choice.

If it was a group of Firemouths, I think most would comment on their need for a bigger tank.

With an oscar and 20 gallon tank, it would be a poor choice, and they probably should think about going a different direction.
I guess I'll have to agree to disagree there. It is very easy for me to make suggestions on cichlids I think are good choices for a 20 gallon tank, or any kind of tank, really. My budget and personal taste aside. "Is money an obstacle, or are you working on a budget" is a surprisingly effective question, that works way better than trying to assume, and imo, telling someone "I have no suggestions for you, because the fish I buy are way more expensive than you can afford, and I have no taste for cheap fish". It doesn't matter if the only fish I buy are stingrays. If a pair of rams or a group of multies makes for nice choices for a 20 gallon tank, I honestly don't understand how my wealth or expensive taste would preclude me from being able to say that.

But as they say... to each his own, you know? If a guy doesn't want to recommend cheap fish, than I guess a guy ain't gotta recommend cheap fish. While I disagree with his point of view, I guess its no less valid than mine, at the end of the day.

-Rich

verbal

CCA Members
Looking at his post again he does leave himself open the interpretation "I am so rich, skilled and have such good tastes that I can't be bothered to recommend beginner fish".

If his viewpoint is truly that there are so many options out there and different tastes that people have to narrow things down a little, he could have been a lot clearer.

rich_one

Members
Exactly. I mean, you can comment on my cheap, boring, fish, as far as compatibility... but you can't offer a recommendation on possible better options, if my current list doesn't work?

Just kinda smacks of arrogance a little to me. Doesn't come across well at all, imo. But again... I've since let it go, and just didn't say anything, because I didn't want to start a flame war.

That said, "unfamous" didn't hesitate to make his feelings on the subject known! LOL...

-Rich

rich_one

Members
I think he most likely was saying "our" as in everyone's not your's compared to his.
Interesting enough, he's the only mod on the site that answers the stocking questions. So really, its just tough to be sure.

I just think its a bit rude either way. I don't care if he's representing himself, or if the "our" is referring to a group of people. To advise someone on the incompatibility of their fish, then refuse to offfer an alternative, based soley on the fact that you have expensive taste in fish (and that is what it is solely based on, as he clearly indicates)... as if that somehow makes you incapable of suggesting less expensive options... well... that is frankly a silly notion that again, kinda smacks of arrogance, to me.

But I do think the thread does some good, and heck... it's a free country. I mean, better to at least let folks know the stock they have in mind won't work together, even if you are unwilling to offer them an alternative option, I guess. But given the thread is a sticky in the newbie forum, you'd think he'd (or they'd) have less of an issue offering those kinds of opinions.

I was pretty annoyed at the time, and was on the verge of probably starting a flame war. I guess I posted it here in the first place as a kind of vent, if you will. I don't think the thread would be well served with me flaming it over this, and clearly, with me being a newbie on the site, the regulars there seem to have accepted this form of advice as is, so who am I to come in and make a big deal over it? I guess I'm just turned off by the way that was done.

-Rich