• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fish Roe As A Food?

A

analog saint

Some friends and I were making sushi, and we were left with a sizeable quantity of Sweetfish Roe. I figured why let it go to waste, and figured I'd try feeding it to some four month old cichlid fry... They go NUTS over it. I tried it with my croaking gouramis and tetras. Same result- even though it sinks fast, they frenzy over it.

I've only been doing this for about two days... but can anyone see any downside to using saltwater fish eggs as a fish food? They seem to be a real crowdpleaser, and since it was $2 for an enormous quantity of the stuff at the local korean grocer, it was substantially cheaper than most any other live foods I've found out there, and I'd imagine it's good nutrition as well. I've read on sites that when frozen, it can keep for three months.

has anyone tried this or heard anything about this?

Sonny Disposition

I don't see a down side to using roe as fish food. It's probably a good idea. Along the same lines, I decapsulate brine shrimp eggs regularly and feed them to lots of different species. I only hatch them for fish that won't eat any food that isn't moving.