• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Holding Fish

Localzoo

Board of Directors
So after a rough weekend, I spent a lot of time neglecting everything else I needed to do - spent a lot of time on the couch with the fam, just watching the fish.
I noticed that the chisumulea that is holding was picking up small pellets ever so carefully. I only noticed her pick up about 3-4.
I was always under the impression, fish that are holding fasted...or I'm drunk.
Anyone else see females do this? Is it done when they are free swimmers that are hiding in moms mouth?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

chriscoli

Administrator
Yep, sometimes they do pick up food. I think the jury is out on weather it's to feed the fry or herself, though. I've only seen them do it towards the end of holding. I've even stripped a holding female and found pellets in her mouth with the fry.

Cbaker

Members
Yes, I have seen it recently with my bi-color female. She was holding and picking up flakes. I was surprised too because I've never seen that before.

lkelly

Members
It has been my experience that nothing will deter a pregnant female if she gets some sort of food craving.

Now what was your fish question?

Tangcollector

Staff member
My Nasuta female ate the entire time she was holding. It was her first time but I also don't remember seeing a holding female eat. But I guess if you are hungry enough and it is there then you are going to eat. She only spit out 3 fry but she is pretty small herself.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I pulled about 15 fry but they manage to make it through the mesh breeder box. Doubt they will survive the main tank. I might do a little more research and make Josh write up an article. Lol