• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Rainbow fry free -- in a few weeks

If anyone is interested in snagging some rainbow fry (free) let me know. My pair just laid eggs again. It'll take about a week for them to hatch into wrigglers and then become free swimming. From there, they will last about a week in the tank before they'll inevitably dwindle in number and disappear. I've had no trouble raising some in a separate tank, but have no more room to do this. They are very easy to catch with a brine shrimp net. I'd say they'd be ready to go by the weekend of the 17th or 18th if anyone wants to stop by Gaithersburg and grab them. (They are NOT feeders. They are for anyone wanting to raise rainbow cichlids.)

rich_one

Members
I'd be all over this, but it looks like I have a separate female and male I am getting to try to get to bond for now.

But if all of that falls through somehow, I'll let you know! Congrats on the eggs!

-Rich

Cool. I'll monitor the progress and let you know a good time. But they should hatch by tomorrow or Friday and be wrigglers until about Monday, and then they'll be a zillion of them until they start disappearing even with Mom and Dad's attention.

mchambers

Former CCA member
If you've still got a zillion, give or take a few billion, by next weekend, I'd take 3 or 4.

Parrot25

I am still new to keeping cichlids and I may ask some dumb questions.
I am thinking of getting a few more fish for my community tank which has 2 red parrot Cichlids in it. Would the Rainbow Cichlids get along with Red Parrot Cichlids or would you caution against it.

I would be interested in getting 2 or 3 rainbow fry if they are available and if people think that both the parrots and the rainbows would live together with a problem.

I live in Rockville so swinging by would not be a problem.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I am still new to keeping cichlids and I may ask some dumb questions.
I am thinking of getting a few more fish for my community tank which has 2 red parrot Cichlids in it. Would the Rainbow Cichlids get along with Red Parrot Cichlids or would you caution against it.

I would be interested in getting 2 or 3 rainbow fry if they are available and if people think that both the parrots and the rainbows would live together with a problem.

I live in Rockville so swinging by would not be a problem.

In general, rainbows are relatively peaceful, but can get a bit aggressive when they spawn. I keep my pair that I got from Holly in a community SA tank with uaru, chocolates, some geos and a severum.

As for keeping them with blood parrots, it would depend on the size of your tank. I've never kept parrots, but have heard their aggression is pretty low. In a big enough tank (55-75 gallon) they should be fine. Remember though that the fry just hatched, so it will be some time before you can keep them with other fish without them being a quick snack. Probably 3-4 months before they are big enough not to get eaten.

OK. I"ll let you know when they're ready to go. (Yes, what Jon said. These are teeny, tiny little things that need to go in a small tank by themselves for at last a month or two. I've got six right now in a 20 gallon that are about 6 weeks old and a bit less than an inch long.)

Parrot25

In general, rainbows are relatively peaceful, but can get a bit aggressive when they spawn. I keep my pair that I got from Holly in a community SA tank with uaru, chocolates, some geos and a severum.

As for keeping them with blood parrots, it would depend on the size of your tank. I've never kept parrots, but have heard their aggression is pretty low. In a big enough tank (55-75 gallon) they should be fine. Remember though that the fry just hatched, so it will be some time before you can keep them with other fish without them being a quick snack. Probably 3-4 months before they are big enough not to get eaten.

My plan right now would be to keep them in my 15 gallon tank until they get big enough to put in my 72 gallon community aquarium. I have guppies in the 15 gallon right now and I don't think they would bother the Rainbows . My Red parrots are about 6-8 in long and very peaceful. I think that most any other peaceful fish would get along with the Red Parrots.

The swarm of babies were free swimming as of yesterday. I pm'd some folks about coming this week, which looks problematic for most. But some fry, at least, may last until the weekend. If you're interested in stopping by, shoot me a PM.

Tony -- you have a PM

The babies are hanging in there. Some of you who were originally interested couldn't come ge them during the week, but they will definitely last until this weekend. Sunday afternoon would work for me.

Caleb -- Tony and I don't yet have a firm plan. He would have to put them in a breeder net as he's full up . . .

mchambers

Former CCA member
Thanks to Holly!

I've now got 10-15 rainbow cichlid fry swimming around my fry grow-out tank (along with some Celestial Pearl Danio fry and some corydoras fry). Very cool.

I understand the rest of her fry in her tank have disappeared, unfortunately. Somebody must have gotten hungry.

The big boy is already doing his flashy dance again, so we may have more fry in the future. For now, though, little mama is playing hard to get.

Glad your little 'uns are doing well!:)

chriscoli

Administrator
I also have some free Rainbow Cichlid fry that I'd like to get rid of. If anyone is interested in them, please send me a pm. They're between 1/4" and 3/4".