• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Any Bulldog Owners?

manbern

Members
Hey all! Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Anyway, my wife has her heart set on owning a Bulldog puppy! And truthfully, I've wanted one too, lol! I think I've been putting on a good pokerface so far, and she thinks I have no interest at all in getting a puppy for her, let alone a bull pup. But I just put down a security deposit on this cutie! She'll be ready to come home mid December, and I'm so excited! I've owned other dog breeds before, but just from my short research online, I'm finding that Bulldogs are a breed that needs VERY SPECIFIC care to ensure a healthy and fulfilled life!

So, I wanted to ask my fellow members: Are there any Bulldog owners here? And if so, what tips, advice can you give me? Any and all comments are welcome! I'm starting from scratch, meaning I have ZERO dog related supplies to welcome this new member to our family. Some of the questions I can think of right now:

1. What are some MUST HAVE items to have ready the day she gets home?

2. What are some specific items (including the brand name is encouraged) that are necessary to have on hand?

3. Are there "bulldog specific" foods that you reccommend?

4. Are there any online resources (forums, online articles, websites, etc.) or books that you can point me to, that would help me out in providing the best care for her?

5. Can anyone reccommend a veterinary care center that specializes in the care for bulldogs? I live in Woodbridge VA, so the closer to home, the better.

6. Has anyone here heard of Offleash K9 Training? They're based out of Woodbridge VA. I've seen some of their videos on YouTube, and it looks pretty legit. But if anyone here can vouch for them, that would be even better!

Looking forward to all your responses!

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0075.JPG

IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0079.JPG

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Very cute dog. Lots of responsibility esp with a bulldog. It's really fun and rewarding to be a dog owner. It's really rough the first few weeks as pups will cry at night (unless like my wife you decide to let the pup sleep in the bed) but once everyone is used to a specific routine all will be smooth. Just make sure you stay consistent.

Lead and collar maybe a crate for training. Never used a crate myself but good to have them comfortable with crates as vets and groomers use them.

Urine cleaning products as house training is tricky esp as a new owner (arm and hammer makes good stuff for carpets) or shout. Brush. Nail file (safer) or nail clippers. Weeee/pee pads as your new to house training

I know there are tons of foods....go with what fits your budget but provides optimum nutrients.(don't fall for the hype of certain ads or for overpriced foods)
For bull dogs keep food bowl a little more elevated keeps them from swallowing tons if air(they are fart machines as is) also they are prone to respiratory issues so keep those faces and folds clean.

Joining a bull dog forum possible a local if any are available

I live in MD but someone from your area might help

Not sure again from MD and usually do out own training.

Just my two cents others can and are probably more qualified to give better advice.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

manbern

Members
Just my two cents others can and are probably more qualified to give better advice.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app[/QUOTE]

I'm not a new dog owner, I've had experience with pups. But like I said, "All comments welcome!". I'm sure I'll be able to learn plenty of new things!

In response to your responses, lol:

1. I'm definitely all for the crate/kennel training. Down the road, the dog becomes used to it and travels well being contained. I'm a big traveller, so I will definitely be purchasing a kennel/crate.

2. Just like fish products, all claim to do the same thing or better than the rest of the competition, but there's a reason that companies like Fluval and Eheim have been in the game so long, they put out a good product. And that's what I'm trying to find. I'm sure there are specific brands that perform better than others, and I want to hear straight from the consumer on what those products are. I'll have to give those products you mentioned a try! But from what I've experienced, you need an "enzyme based" cleaner to completely remove the urine smell. I don't know how keen a bulldog's sense of smell is, but I used to own a Westie, and even when I used straight bleach to clean a popular pee spot in the house, she could still sniff it out and pee in the same spot! I had to physically block out that area, until she was completely houstrained!

3. Same thing for number 3. Just like NLS, Extreme, and Repashy are customer favorites for cichlids, there has to be some that bullie owners prefer.

4. YES, definitely gonna be looking for local bulldog forum!

5. Where in MD do you live? If I can't any vets that fit the bill locally, I'm not opposed to getting her the proper medical care elsewhere?

6. Yeah, I hear you. I've always done my own training as well, but I stumbled onto one of their YouTube videos, and found out they were in my neighborhood. And when I went to their website, it looks like they're endorsed by all sorts of celebrities and such. And I just thought it was neat that they were so close to where I live, and was hoping some others have had experience with these people.

Regardless of experience, thank you so much for your inputs! I love forums, especially when used the right way! Such a wealth of shared information!

Localzoo

Board of Directors
No worries I'm not a bull dog expert. But my dogs are well taken care of well behaved and obedient on and off leashes ask anyone who had visited.
Also didn't know you had experience just my miss understanding. I live in silver spring but still take my two dogs to college park animal hospital. I used to take them to a place closer to the house but like college park better.
They remember us even though we only go every 6months.
I know oldskool might be able to offer advice as they have a new bulldog as well.

Hopefully the bull dog owners will help.
Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Last edited:

blkmjk

Members
First off NO WEE PADS... EVER. NEVER EVER ENCOURAGE YOU PUPPY TO PIDDLE ON THE FLOOR.

OK now on to the good stuff.

I have owned two English Bulldogs over my life time. And several other bully breeds, pits, americans, labs, and now now a poodle mix. They are a very dominant breed. They are incredibly stubborn. They have zero "quit" in them. So be prepared to curb over enthusiasm. They are tough as nails. They are the ultimate destroyers. If they have a million chew toys your stuff still won't be safe because those toys don't smell like you do. And to this day they are some of the best dogs I have ever owned.

Do not feed large amounts of food at any one time to a bulldog.
They have a tendency to vomit if they do.

Limit the single sitting of water to 30 secs or so. They can go back but they need to stop and breath. Walk away and then go back for more. If not that water is coming right back up.

For the first week walk them every two hours like clockwork. Encourage outside bathroom activity by praising the deed. For every month they are alive up to 1 year is an hour they should be capable of holding themselves. 8 week old pup is only capable of 2 hours anything over that is a gamble.

I recommend getting a powerful shop vac. I have found that cleaning messes is much easier with a large vacuum.

There will be a learning curve for you and the new puppy. But if you provide balance to their life through exercise and discipline they will make you a very happy dog owner.

Best wishes with the new puppy. Please feel free to message me with any further questions you may have regarding this amazing breed.

Drew

Becca

Members
Find a good trainer who offers puppy socialization and puppy-only classes. My personal favorite is Tecla's K-9 Academy in Elkridge, MD, but they are too far from you. They may be able to recommend someone in VA.

Brachycephalic dogs come with a host of potential health issues, some of which are minor, some of which can prove to be VERY QUICKLY FATAL. Familiarize yourself with those health issues and their warning signs.

Their shortened airways mean that they do not cool air efficiently. They are prone to overheating and breathing problems. In the summer, it is important to keep them cool and limit time outside.

Get your puppy used to having its face cleaned and handled at an early age. The skin folds are prone to yeast and other fungal or bacterial infections, as are their folded ears.

Regular veterinary care is a must, as is a good-quality food. I generally recommend something with limited, high-quality ingredients. This can help prevent allergies and makes it easier to peg down an allergen if you suspect a food allergy. This site has a great ranking system for food - http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/. I really like Nature's Variety Instinct as a kibble. If you go raw, K-9 Kraving and Dogs Gone Wild are great.

Dogs that are deep/barrel chested like a bulldog can be prone to bloat/gastric torsion (look it up). High quality food can help prevent that. It can also help prevent a whole host of skin and dental issues.

I agree with the previous poster about puppy pads, they're worthless and will teach your dog to pee in the house. Use a crate and whenever she comes out of the crate the very first place she should go is outside, before her little puppy feet get a chance to hit the ground indoors. If she's not in your direct line of site, have her in the crate. Once she learns she can pee in the house, teaching her not to will be even harder and you CANNOT correct a behavior you haven't witnessed. A dog's ability to connect cause with effect lasts about 1.3 seconds, if you don't catch them in the act, they've got no idea what you're punishing them for. Whenever she goes potty outside, reward her and maybe give her some time outside so she doesn't associate peeing with being brought straight back into the house. A good trainer will be able to tell you all of this stuff.

If you want a great book, try How to Be the Leader of the Pack (and have your dog love you for it) by (I think) Patricia McConnell.

Also, start with a harness, not a lead and collar. Puppy necks are fragile and yanking a dog around on a collar can damage the trachea and espophagus. This is going to be especially problematic in a Brachycephalic breed. I really like the EZ walk harnesses for puppies. Bring her to the store to have her fitted for one and use a slip collar as a back up, so that if the harness were to come off, she's still attached to something.

If you want someone to show you how to fit the harness and attach a collar as a back-up so that it only goes tight if the harness comes loose, I'm more than happy to do it, but you'd have to come out to my area. There's probably someone closer to you who could help you.

Bulldogs are bull-headed. Good training EARLY is a must, especially if you want to train positively with less correction. I deal with a lot of dogs in rescue that don't get early training and I'm a big believer in prong and E-collars USED CORRECTLY. That said, I do not recommend the use of either without guidance from a reputable trainer.

I could write a book (I kind of already have), but the one I recommended is a good start. Find a good trainer and a good vet before she comes home and you'll be set for success.

manbern

Members
First off NO WEE PADS... EVER. NEVER EVER ENCOURAGE YOU PUPPY TO PIDDLE ON THE FLOOR.

OK now on to the good stuff.

I have owned two English Bulldogs over my life time. And several other bully breeds, pits, americans, labs, and now now a poodle mix. They are a very dominant breed. They are incredibly stubborn. They have zero "quit" in them. So be prepared to curb over enthusiasm. They are tough as nails. They are the ultimate destroyers. If they have a million chew toys your stuff still won't be safe because those toys don't smell like you do. And to this day they are some of the best dogs I have ever owned.

Do not feed large amounts of food at any one time to a bulldog.
They have a tendency to vomit if they do.

Limit the single sitting of water to 30 secs or so. They can go back but they need to stop and breath. Walk away and then go back for more. If not that water is coming right back up.

For the first week walk them every two hours like clockwork. Encourage outside bathroom activity by praising the deed. For every month they are alive up to 1 year is an hour they should be capable of holding themselves. 8 week old pup is only capable of 2 hours anything over that is a gamble.

I recommend getting a powerful shop vac. I have found that cleaning messes is much easier with a large vacuum.

There will be a learning curve for you and the new puppy. But if you provide balance to their life through exercise and discipline they will make you a very happy dog owner.

Best wishes with the new puppy. Please feel free to message me with any further questions you may have regarding this amazing breed.

Drew

Thank you so much for these pearls of wisdom! Believe me, your advice does not fall on deaf ears!

This might come off as a rookie question, but I just want to make sure this doesn't get lost in translation: You said to take the pup outside to use the bathroom every 2 hours like clockwork. Does this apply even if the puppy is sleeping when that 2 hour mark comes up? Or do I just wait for the puppy to wake up and immediately take her out?

Thanks for the well wishes! Ever since I retired from the military, I've been wanting to: 1. Start keeping fish again and 2. Own a dog again. I have done both while I was in the military, and while it was still enjoyable, I felt like my fish/dog did not receive the best care I could give them, due to getting deployed all the time, and having to move to different parts of the world so often. Now, that I'm out, and settled in, I can't wait to welcome home a new member of our family!

manbern

Members
Find a good trainer who offers puppy socialization and puppy-only classes. My personal favorite is Tecla's K-9 Academy in Elkridge, MD, but they are too far from you. They may be able to recommend someone in VA.

Brachycephalic dogs come with a host of potential health issues, some of which are minor, some of which can prove to be VERY QUICKLY FATAL. Familiarize yourself with those health issues and their warning signs.

Their shortened airways mean that they do not cool air efficiently. They are prone to overheating and breathing problems. In the summer, it is important to keep them cool and limit time outside.

Get your puppy used to having its face cleaned and handled at an early age. The skin folds are prone to yeast and other fungal or bacterial infections, as are their folded ears.

Regular veterinary care is a must, as is a good-quality food. I generally recommend something with limited, high-quality ingredients. This can help prevent allergies and makes it easier to peg down an allergen if you suspect a food allergy. This site has a great ranking system for food - http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/. I really like Nature's Variety Instinct as a kibble. If you go raw, K-9 Kraving and Dogs Gone Wild are great.

Dogs that are deep/barrel chested like a bulldog can be prone to bloat/gastric torsion (look it up). High quality food can help prevent that. It can also help prevent a whole host of skin and dental issues.

I agree with the previous poster about puppy pads, they're worthless and will teach your dog to pee in the house. Use a crate and whenever she comes out of the crate the very first place she should go is outside, before her little puppy feet get a chance to hit the ground indoors. If she's not in your direct line of site, have her in the crate. Once she learns she can pee in the house, teaching her not to will be even harder and you CANNOT correct a behavior you haven't witnessed. A dog's ability to connect cause with effect lasts about 1.3 seconds, if you don't catch them in the act, they've got no idea what you're punishing them for. Whenever she goes potty outside, reward her and maybe give her some time outside so she doesn't associate peeing with being brought straight back into the house. A good trainer will be able to tell you all of this stuff.

If you want a great book, try How to Be the Leader of the Pack (and have your dog love you for it) by (I think) Patricia McConnell.

Also, start with a harness, not a lead and collar. Puppy necks are fragile and yanking a dog around on a collar can damage the trachea and espophagus. This is going to be especially problematic in a Brachycephalic breed. I really like the EZ walk harnesses for puppies. Bring her to the store to have her fitted for one and use a slip collar as a back up, so that if the harness were to come off, she's still attached to something.

If you want someone to show you how to fit the harness and attach a collar as a back-up so that it only goes tight if the harness comes loose, I'm more than happy to do it, but you'd have to come out to my area. There's probably someone closer to you who could help you.

Bulldogs are bull-headed. Good training EARLY is a must, especially if you want to train positively with less correction. I deal with a lot of dogs in rescue that don't get early training and I'm a big believer in prong and E-collars USED CORRECTLY. That said, I do not recommend the use of either without guidance from a reputable trainer.

I could write a book (I kind of already have), but the one I recommended is a good start. Find a good trainer and a good vet before she comes home and you'll be set for success.

Thank you also! Wow, such good advice! I have already added all those items and that book onto my puppy shopping list! :) Hey, if you actually do publish a book on bulldog care, message me! I'd be happy to help out a fellow CCA member and purchase their book! But you'ld have to autograph my copy, deal? :) Thanks again!

blkmjk

Members
Thank you so much for these pearls of wisdom! Believe me, your advice does not fall on deaf ears!

This might come off as a rookie question, but I just want to make sure this doesn't get lost in translation: You said to take the pup outside to use the bathroom every 2 hours like clockwork. Does this apply even if the puppy is sleeping when that 2 hour mark comes up? Or do I just wait for the puppy to wake up and immediately take her out?

Thanks for the well wishes! Ever since I retired from the military, I've been wanting to: 1. Start keeping fish again and 2. Own a dog again. I have done both while I was in the military, and while it was still enjoyable, I felt like my fish/dog did not receive the best care I could give them, due to getting deployed all the time, and having to move to different parts of the world so often. Now, that I'm out, and settled in, I can't wait to welcome home a new member of our family!

There is never a rookie question when it comes to dogs. Just knowledge to be gained.

Yes wake up the puppy and take her outside. Just like toddlers that while playing don't seem to notice they have to go to the bathroom and as soon as they sit down to eat they are about to explode. Your puppy will do the same thing while playing or sleeping you could stretch it out to 3 hours or so. But I wouldn't risk it. Cleaning up urine is not fun. And just like Becca previously stated punishment after the act is over with is futile.

Go ahead and get the Bulldogs for dummies book that will help alot.

Drew