• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hello from Pasadena, MD

Curly625

Members
Hello - My name is Stacey and I 'inherited' two tanks of fish (said "Yeah, sure I'd love to have them!" when we inherited the house :wacko:) which included 6 beautiful Angelfish. I am here because I have since discovered I don't have the stomach for the territorial fighting, and need help on how to get some of them back to health and rehome the others (I only have 4 left!) I have been lurking and found some great information on this site, thank you to all who contribute to help us who are floundering!

v/r,
Stacey

chriscoli

Administrator
Hi Stacey, welcome to the forum! I'm glad you're getting some good information and we definitely have some angelfish folk who can help you out.

Becca

Members
Welcome. You are not far from House of Tropicals and there are also lots of people who could give you advice there.

What size tanks and what else is in them? It might be that you have two who are trying to pair off and taking out the others in preparation.

Curly625

Members
Thank you all for the welcome - I'm really just trying to do what I can for the ones I have left.

Becca - I had the original 6 in a 55, which I now know is way too small, especially considering they weren't the only fish in there. Right now the two I consider the mated pair are in the 55 with ~9" pleco, running a API XL filter and clean weekly with ~25% water change (RO Water). The other two are in a 36 bowfront with 4 purple/1 harlequin rasboras, 2 glowlight tetras, 2 loaches, 2 corys, and a very docile male betta. I'm running a fluval 404 on that tank and clean weekly with ~25% water change. Any suggestions are appreciated!

clearsky5

CCA Members
Hello Stacey:
welcome to the forum!
don't know if was asked or answered...
what size are your tanks?
if you don't know gallonage,,,, just dimensions will work..

I did leave a brief message on your thread on the eggs....

surprisingly, Angels while they seem so docile compared to say africans, are in fact very territorial and some colors more than others....
I know everyone has an opinion as to how they keep their angels....

I find that you can keep a large number of angels in a relatively small tank but as soon as they start to pair off, they change drastically and will be territorial to a fault.

I am not sure your tank size but if you can give them a lot of plants, either swords or val or something that is tall and a lot, they can move about and possibly hide from the aggressors..

Best case scenario, is to move out either the pair, or subordinates as you figure out the pecking order, but remember,,,, if you take out the "pair" someone else is going to eventually stepup and take over...

some of mine obsess over anything else in or near the tank when they are in the breeding mode, so that pleco you have might be just tormenting your parents....

good luck with everything...

if you need to move some you might consider bringing them to the next cca meeting and putting them up for auction....

david

Curly625

Members
David - I put the situation in the last post:

"I had the original 6 in a 55, which I now know is way too small, especially considering they weren't the only fish in there. Right now the two I consider the mated pair are in the 55 with ~9" pleco, running a API XL filter and clean weekly with ~25% water change (RO Water). The other two are in a 36 bowfront with 4 purple/1 harlequin rasboras, 2 glowlight tetras, 2 loaches, 2 corys, and a very docile male betta. I'm running a fluval 404 on that tank and clean weekly with ~25% water change. Any suggestions are appreciated!"

And I'm not looking for any money here - I'm looking for good homes for these guys. I've got the two on marketplace already, and as soon as the other two are healthy (fingers crossed for the one floating at the top of the tank, that pair did a number on her!) I'll be looking for homes for them, too. I've tried separating them, putting in fake plants to divide up the tank, large half terracotta pots for hidey caves - nothing has worked. You're right they just restart that pecking order thing all over again, the twitching, face bumping and side ramming, drives me crazy - I can't stand to see anything picked on!

As an aside - the aforementioned betta came from Petco, some idiot had put a red in with a blue. The blue was laying on the bottom of the cup, all schredded and pathetic. I separated them and brought the poor little guy home, and now he's the best, the sweetest thing! Looks for me every night for dinner, eats a single dropped pellet at a time and waits for more - so cute. Now if I could get my hands on the human that did it...picking on that one wouldn't be a problem!

Thank you!

v/r,
Stacey

Last edited: