• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

One big fish with a cartilaginous skeleton

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
A couple of years ago there were videos out of South Africa showing a man "playing" with large great whites. He was standing on the platform at the stern of his boat when the shark surfaced, and he put his hand on the snout and gently pushed it back into the water. He has other videos of him diving in the water and swimming with one. I believe they were females too.

About 15 years ago we were snorkeling at Loe Key in the Florida Keys and my son ended up swimming along with several bull sharks that were there to "get cleaned" by the small fish on the reef. We had sent him on a scuba diving/biology trip the previous year to the British Virgin Islands were they, among other dives (deep water, night, etc) did several shark dives were they explained shark behavior and what to look out for, so he felt comfortable doing this (ah, to be 20 years old again and fearless!). Of course, bull sharks can be unpredictable, so when they started to circle him he got back into the boat. He realized that this was a unique experience. As for me, I was swimming around constantly looking over my shoulder for the sharks, and got spooked by a huge barracuda! I got back in the boat quickly. Now, my son routinely dives into the shark at Mote Aquarium in Sarasota to help clean it. I'll watch the videos. LOL

Last edited: