• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Demasoni,c.cutteri,g.meriodalis Together?

cdl0914

Members
Hello!
I got 3 bags of juvenile Pseudotropheus Demasoni, Cryptoheros Cutteri, and Gymnogeophagus Meriodalis. I put everybody in my 58G and started to do my homework. What I gathered was that I should removed my 6 Demasoni because they are too aggressive, and eat a different diet. What do you guys say? What about the Cutteri and the Meriodalis together?
Thank you much.Regards.Claude

dogofwar

CCA Members
I wouldn't put the demasoni with the others. They'll pick on the others.

The cutteri and the Gymnogeos will probably be OK to grow out together. I'd plan on a separate tank for the Gymnogeos than the cutteri eventually. I turn off the heaters in my gymnogeo tanks in the winter. The cutteri won't like this. The cutteri will also eventually pair off and be quite aggressive.

Matt

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Claude de Lannee @ Sep 15 2008, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hello!
I got 3 bags of juvenile Pseudotropheus Demasoni, Cryptoheros Cutteri, and Gymnogeophagus Meriodalis. I put everybody in my 58G and started to do my homework. What I gathered was that I should removed my 6 Demasoni because they are too aggressive, and eat a different diet. What do you guys say? What about the Cutteri and the Meriodalis together?
Thank you much.Regards.Claude[/b]

cyradis4

Members
Hi!

I agree with DogofWar, plan on three different tanks for those fish. In fact, I'd separate them now. I had some Cutteri and some other SAs in a tank growing out, and when the cutteri reached about an inch or so they killed every non-cutteri in the tank. Granted, these weren't agressive SAs, but still.

Also, the Demasoni is an African, from Lake Malawi. They do better on a low protein diet when they are adults, and the Cutteri and GymnoGeos like higher protein. Also, all three fish prefer a different type of environment. Some good sources of info on the Demosani environment would be Ad Konings books, Back to Nature Lake Malawi, and Lake Malawi Cichlids in their Natural Habitat. A good source of general info on the GymnoGeo would be the book Eartheaters. The GymnoGeo is a South American fish. Not sure of a good source on info on the Cutteri, but they are a Central American fish if memory serves.

Later!
Amanda.

cdl0914

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyradis4 @ Sep 16 2008, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hi!

I agree with DogofWar, plan on three different tanks for those fish. In fact, I'd separate them now. I had some Cutteri and some other SAs in a tank growing out, and when the cutteri reached about an inch or so they killed every non-cutteri in the tank. Granted, these weren't agressive SAs, but still.

Also, the Demasoni is an African, from Lake Malawi. They do better on a low protein diet when they are adults, and the Cutteri and GymnoGeos like higher protein. Also, all three fish prefer a different type of environment. Some good sources of info on the Demosani environment would be Ad Konings books, Back to Nature Lake Malawi, and Lake Malawi Cichlids in their Natural Habitat. A good source of general info on the GymnoGeo would be the book Eartheaters. The GymnoGeo is a South American fish. Not sure of a good source on info on the Cutteri, but they are a Central American fish if memory serves.

Later!
Amanda.[/b]

marge618

CCA member
Hello Claude,
Welcome to the joy of 'who goes where and when'. It only gets better. As long as it's not a job. It should be fun!

My :sign0134: Set them up in 3 separate species tanks. Then do your research. You are the fishkeeper now.

Also, note. If you go all the way down under all of the posts on your thread you will find the 'add reply'. Then type your response. (It won't repeat the previous person's comments.)

Later,
Marge

cdl0914

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogofwar @ Sep 15 2008, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I wouldn't put the demasoni with the others. They'll pick on the others.

The cutteri and the Gymnogeos will probably be OK to grow out together. I'd plan on a separate tank for the Gymnogeos than the cutteri eventually. I turn off the heaters in my gymnogeo tanks in the winter. The cutteri won't like this. The cutteri will also eventually pair off and be quite aggressive.

Matt

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Claude de Lannee @ Sep 15 2008, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello!
Thank you much.Regards.Claude[/b]
[/b][/quote]