• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New Cichlid set up

Well I've decided to bite the bullet and "go" Cichlid.
Ive chose to give all my community fish to my lfs and in return he's going to gimme store credit :)
I'm choosing Malawi cichlids as when I was at my lfs today they seemed to have a more wider variety to chose from.
I've just done a 40% water change (I've been away on my hols for 2 weeks hence the big change) and whilst I had tank in bits I change the decor to that which will make my new friends happy. Need more rock before they do move in tho.
Will post pics when water clears
(Sand substrate)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Just realised that ocean rock is pretty pricey.
Looks like things are going to go slow. Would 4 or 5 yellow labs be ok in a 500 ltr tank until I get money to add different fish?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

My LFS gave me a great deal on my community fish.
I've welcomed into their new home
5 x Yellow Labs
11x demasoni

Adding 11 kg of ocean rock tomorrow to help things along.
Really happy with tank

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Sounds like it'll be a great setup. Yellow labs and demasoni are a common mbuna setup and it's proven to work really well with some striking color. :)

Tony

Hi Tony

It's coming along nicely.
What other cichlids do you recommend adding to the mix?

With a 500 L tank (132 gallons) you could probably add 2-3 more groups of mbuna to the mix if you'd like.

General rule of thumb is to pick mbuna from different genuses to minimize risk of hybridization. Some nice (fairly common/inexpensive) additions would be:

Cynotilapia sp.
Iodotropheus sprengarae
Melanochromis maingano

You could also add a group of smaller Synodontis catfish or a single larger one. They would likely cut down the number of fry in your tank though...

ezrk

Members
Just realised that ocean rock is pretty pricey.
Looks like things are going to go slow. Would 4 or 5 yellow labs be ok in a 500 ltr tank until I get money to add different fish?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

You don't need expensive ocean rock, just go to a landscape supply or rock place and buy in bulk.

We filled our 110g with 150#s for about $30. We also used some rather more expensive holey rock in the other 110....so just make the choice that makes sense for you.

With a 500 L tank (132 gallons) you could probably add 2-3 more groups of mbuna to the mix if you'd like.

General rule of thumb is to pick mbuna from different genuses to minimize risk of hybridization. Some nice (fairly common/inexpensive) additions would be:

Cynotilapia sp.
Iodotropheus sprengarae
Melanochromis maingano

You could also add a group of smaller Synodontis catfish or a single larger one. They would likely cut down the number of fry in your tank though...

Thanks for that. Any more?

You don't need expensive ocean rock, just go to a landscape supply or rock place and buy in bulk.

We filled our 110g with 150#s for about $30. We also used some rather more expensive holey rock in the other 110....so just make the choice that makes sense for you.

I shall have a looksee today :)

Tony

Thanks for that. Any more?

There's a bunch of options - I just listed those because they are fairly common (cheap) and are very different than the fish you have now. What is locally available to you?

Also, watch out for that Siamese algae eater/flying fox - they are very tough/aggressive fish, but once your mbuna get a bit bigger, he may take a beating.

There's a bunch of options - I just listed those because they are fairly common (cheap) and are very different than the fish you have now. What is locally available to you?

Also, watch out for that Siamese algae eater/flying fox - they are very tough/aggressive fish, but once your mbuna get a bit bigger, he may take a beating.

My lfs seem to have a wide variety of cichlids. Next time I'm there I'll make list and show you. Thanks for replying. I'm total newbie to cichlids so it's gonna be a while for me to get a grasp of their names and such.

fishman13

Members
Well I've decided to bite the bullet and "go" Cichlid.
Ive chose to give all my community fish to my lfs and in return he's going to gimme store credit :)
I'm choosing Malawi cichlids as when I was at my lfs today they seemed to have a more wider variety to chose from.
I've just done a 40% water change (I've been away on my hols for 2 weeks hence the big change) and whilst I had tank in bits I change the decor to that which will make my new friends happy. Need more rock before they do move in tho.
Will post pics when water clears
(Sand substrate)

The better side of the hobby. Hope to see pics soon.