• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Identify Sunshine Peacock?

Slater

Members
My wife has what she just calls a "sunshine"
Getting ready to place an order with Dave & maybe wanting another Sunshine for our other tank "90gal"
I over research everything & realize there are about 4 fish which are called "sunshines"
I also researched that the Baenschi max's out at 5" while the Mareli grows to 6.5"

A. baenschi, which is often called Benga or Nkomo reef. ?

Maleri island which was once called "Yellow Regal" ?

So looking at the shape of the body in my poor pics, what do I have now in the 125gl?
I will get some better pics if needed when the wife decides to get out of bed, just trying to figure this out..
Thanks!

FullSizeRender-13.jpg

1017150734.jpg

1017150733.jpg

Slater

Members
Bump, anyone else...
When we purchased from a group order this fish was just a "SunShine" no entire species name listed..
This is my first & only experience or view of a "SunShine" & from my research appears to be Mareli Island from the research I've done & not a Baenschi as mentioned by the poster above but would like a confirmation from someone who has vast knowledge / experience between the 2 fish.
Thanks.....

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I would say it looks very close to the aulonocara stuartgranti sunshine peacock. But these peacocks, all with the same scientific name come in a large variety of colors. SO you have to be very careful on ordering them to get the same color pattern that you want. I had the flametail version of this fish 3 to 5 years ago. Bought some more like two months ago and the new ones are much deeper blue and the flame part extends more into the body compared to the first ones I had.

aulonocara stuartgranti sunshine peacock is the maleri form of this fish. But even all these sold with the same name will have variations in color patterns and intensities.