• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

rocks for aquascaping

Harleyrider5

Members
I recently found my self with an empty 125 gallon tank. I am looking for some good size rocks for aquascaping or cave building. I don't get alot of time off work these days chances of being able to meet at the meeting is slim to none.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
If collecting rocks from a local stream or park isn't something you have time for, I've found that Irwin Stone is a great place to go "shopping". Most of the stuff they sell is for construction use, so they price things by the ton rather than the pound. I sorted through a huge pile of river stone used in landscaping that was something like $20 a ton. The 5 gallon bucket I filled up was only a couple of dollars worth of material.

I know they have a store in Frederick and Rockville, not sure if there is one on your side of the beltway.

chriscoli

Administrator
Irwin stone's my favorite!

What I usually end up doing is going through the weigh scales with my car and parking near the "scrap" pile....it's the pile of all the stuff that falls off of the pallets of fieldstone. I put what I want in my car, and get re-weighed. I think I got enough to heavily rock two 4' tanks for about $50 last time I was there.

mchambers

Former CCA member
We just used Irwin Stone for flagstone for our new porch, but I was eyeing the scrap pile with envy.

rich_one

Members
Brandon,

I believe I have some rock sitting around somewhere, probably the garage, that I have no plans on using. I'll double check tonight. You can feel free to come pick through whatever you'd like, free of charge.

-Rich

FishEggs

If you need another option there is The Stone Store which is only a few minutes from House Of Tropicals.

Troyale

Members
If you are ever in the Baltimore area, i have a large bin full of rocks that you are welcome to take whatever you want.