• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

1st African tank..

Beeman

Members
Ok, so I'm setting up a 'seasonal' 55g Mbuna tank. Up in the spring, break it down in the fall(out in my unheated shop).
My question is a simple one. Will an AC110 and a large sponge filter be enough filtration? Tentatively plan on approx. 20-25 juvies, plus a cat or 2. And yes, 50% water change weekly.

Beeman

Members
If I thought I was going to run the tank till they all reached maturity, I would totally agree. It just appears to me that if I ran two 110's, the poor little souls would be tossed around like confetti in hurricane! I would go with a different filter perhaps, but I'm sitting on a new 110. Thanks Jon

Beeman

Members
You're good! Nothing to it but to do it Barry! Whatcha getting? Ordering from Dave's Fish? We need to pad the lead...

Getting Yellow Labs and Rusties from Tony. Will be placing an order with Dave's Rare Fish for Lab. Super Red Top, Cynotilapia Yellow Blaze, Orange Back, and Taiwan Reef. What do ya think? Good beginners choices?

verbal

CCA Members
You're good! Nothing to it but to do it Barry! Whatcha getting? Ordering from Dave's Fish? We need to pad the lead...

Getting Yellow Labs and Rusties from Tony. Will be placing an order with Dave's Rare Fish for Lab. Super Red Top, Cynotilapia Yellow Blaze, Orange Back, and Taiwan Reef. What do ya think? Good beginners choices?

I think cynotilapia would be a great choice with rusties and yellow labs. However to start out with 1 group per genera is a good idea. You could probably pick a calmer psuedotropheus. Maingano would be my preference, but there are others that could work.

As far as filtration, a prefilter will reduce your flow a bit and keep your sponge(s) clean longer. Also the AquaClears are adjustable, so the flow can be turned down.

Beeman

Members
I think cynotilapia would be a great choice with rusties and yellow labs. However to start out with 1 group per genera is a good idea. You could probably pick a calmer psuedotropheus.

Ok, with that in mind, how does this mix sound. The rusties and yellow labs plus; Cynotilapia 'Yellow Top', Metriaclima 'Red Top Zebra', and Pseudotropheus 'Williamsi North'. And please remember folks, I am a 'babe in the woods' when it comes to Africans.:unsure: I'm just making picks within the Mbuna's bases solely on color. I know nothing about their temperament. So please be gentle :sign0092:

Beeman

Members
I have 5 cynotilapia Mara rocks juvis I can sell you.

Hey Marc, thanks for the offer, but I kind of had my heart set on eye-popping color. But if Dave's out of stock on what I'm after, I'll be in touch. Many thanks, Barry

Wblaze

Members
Cool -- Depending on what else you have in the tank, the mara rocks get a real nice Yellow w/ dark stripes. Let me know