• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Glue rocks Together or Make 3D-BackGround??

Italy592

Members
Now i have been back and forth with making my own 3D BackGround and glueing some slate rocks and making them like a 3D backGround. Has anyone glued rocks together to make a whole setup if so can you share your experience or any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated i want to figure out which route would be better and safer for the fish !!

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

thedavidzoo

Members
I used silicone and a few of the smaller slate pieces that were attached vertically to the rest of the background have fallen off. Maybe I didn't use enough in some spots, maybe it wasn't 100% cured, maybe the rock was too flat and the surface area of my silicone too small...

So maybe an epoxy would hold up better long term than silicone? Either way just make sure all is very, very cured. I don't see a problem with putting it in an established tank.
Make sure you post some pics when it is done.

Montbard

Members
I'm not saying get it from here, just the first thing that came up with Google, but any of these would work. There are several manufacturers and just about any size store, especially if they specialize in reefs, will have something. I think I even saw some in PetSmart the other day.

For larger, heavier rocks, I'd use the epoxy rather than the super glue - especially if you don't have large, flush surfaces between the rocks.
http://www.marinedepot.com/miscellaneous_epoxy-ap.html

Hawkman2000

Members
I used GE Silicone 2 to adhere my rocks together. Works very well. Haven't tried Epoxy for that. I've had issues with epoxy on stone and concrete, but not in an immersed and temperature controlled environment. When it comes to construction, adhesives that remain flexible are usually used for stone and concrete. Like a polyurethane adhesive. Don't know if poly adhesive would be aquarium safe.

Something not many people know about silicone is that it cures better when its cured in a humid environment. Not immersed in water, just air with high humidity. It pulls the air bubbles out of it making achieve a better bond, and makes it dry more clear.

Most forms of epoxy remain flexible, just not as much as silicone. I've had epoxy completely fail on me on stone/concrete situations. The label said it would work, but it didn't.

If you try the epoxy, post pics and let us/me know how it works.

Italy592

Members
I used GE Silicone 2 to adhere my rocks together. Works very well. Haven't tried Epoxy for that. I've had issues with epoxy on stone and concrete, but not in an immersed and temperature controlled environment. When it comes to construction, adhesives that remain flexible are usually used for stone and concrete. Like a polyurethane adhesive. Don't know if poly adhesive would be aquarium safe.

Something not many people know about silicone is that it cures better when its cured in a humid environment. Not immersed in water, just air with high humidity. It pulls the air bubbles out of it making achieve a better bond, and makes it dry more clear.

Most forms of epoxy remain flexible, just not as much as silicone. I've had epoxy completely fail on me on stone/concrete situations. The label said it would work, but it didn't.

If you try the epoxy, post pics and let us/me know how it works.

Heyy ok I read that entire comment so what do you think I should use in your own opinion !!!!

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Hawkman2000

Members
Don't know, I've had good luck with silicone 2 from HD. But that reef epoxy looks pretty good. It sounds like it dries really fast as well.

I would just hate to recomend one or the other to you and it not work for you.

I would say that either way you go, scrub the heck out of the rocks with a stiff plastic brush to make sure the surfaces are clean.

One thing that might help (if possible), attach suction cups to the backside of the stack to hold it up. In order to do this, you would have to assemble the stack flat on its back so the suction cups are level to eachother.

Good luck, post pics where done.

lonlangione

Members
After 40 years of using silicone in the aquarium hobby, never use Silicone 2 for aquariums. It has additives in it for mold and mildew resistance. I have been using Ace Hardware's 100% silicone in a caulking tube for over 25 years. I fix aquariums for two local glass companies when someone brings in a broken tank and I use it for my tanks. I just siliconed new glass bottoms in 2 - 40 gallon breeder with it.. ACE runs this stuff on sale for $3.99 per caulking tube. It is the same as the aquarium sealant. No additives. Also, high humidity will imped the curing process of silicone. It will take way longer for it to fully cure. Use plenty of ventilation when using silicone.
I have also used epoxy several times as well. The stuff for coral is safe to use. In small amounts I have used PC7 epoxy, also available at ACE. But it isn't economical to use in large quanities. Once it is cured it is non - toxic. I have never used an epoxy that stays flexable. Silicon will not bond with rocks. Epoxy will.

Lonny

Italy592

Members
After 40 years of using silicone in the aquarium hobby, never use Silicone 2 for aquariums. It has additives in it for mold and mildew resistance. I have been using Ace Hardware's 100% silicone in a caulking tube for over 25 years. I fix aquariums for two local glass companies when someone brings in a broken tank and I use it for my tanks. I just siliconed new glass bottoms in 2 - 40 gallon breeder with it.. ACE runs this stuff on sale for $3.99 per caulking tube. It is the same as the aquarium sealant. No additives. Also, high humidity will imped the curing process of silicone. It will take way longer for it to fully cure. Use plenty of ventilation when using silicone.
I have also used epoxy several times as well. The stuff for coral is safe to use. In small amounts I have used PC7 epoxy, also available at ACE. But it isn't economical to use in large quanities. Once it is cured it is non - toxic. I have never used an epoxy that stays flexable. Silicon will not bond with rocks. Epoxy will.

Lonny

Ok so the silicone for rocks by ace hardware is what to use ?? That will be good to hold rocks together and keep it safe and sound for the fish and tank as well ?? And did u say to have a high humidity or not too when curing the structure I'm going to build if I use this silicone !!!! Is this what you are saying ??

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app