• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Snakehead. Pretty Darn Nasty

dogofwar

CCA Members
"...Anglers are not required to report snakeheads nor are they required to kill them if caught, but the Department asks that the fish be reported and killed if possible."

"Exotic species like snakeheads can disrupt natural aquatic systems and may have significant impacts by feeding on and competing with native and/or naturalized fishes. In addition, they may transmit parasites and diseases to native wildlife in those systems."

Enough folks catching, eating or otherwise removing snakeheads from the ecosystem can hopefully allow native species to come back...

Matt

Hmm citing old outdated regulations lol tsk tsk

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/snakehead-faq.asp

Read trough the current.

Since their is no sound evidence that they decimate the ecosystem, and that they are here to stay I release them.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
"...Anglers are not required to report snakeheads nor are they required to kill them if caught, but the Department asks that the fish be reported and killed if possible."

"Exotic species like snakeheads can disrupt natural aquatic systems and may have significant impacts by feeding on and competing with native and/or naturalized fishes. In addition, they may transmit parasites and diseases to native wildlife in those systems."

Enough folks catching, eating or otherwise removing snakeheads from the ecosystem can hopefully allow native species to come back...

Matt

What I hear is snakehead fishing field trip...lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Thai

Members

Matt
A comeback for natives? Where did they go? John Odenkirk, who is lead biologist on snakeheads for vdgif, and I have talked about this before, they aren't posing any threat to the natives...

Thai

Members
If you want to plan a trip I'll help you, I did. Pretty good job putting David ( texasholeyrock) on them.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Just quoting from the link you posted...

Matt

A comeback for natives? Where did they go? John Odenkirk, who is lead biologist on snakeheads for vdgif, and I have talked about this before, they aren't posing any threat to the natives...

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
That thing is a monster for sure. Saw an episode of Bizarre Foods America where Zimmer went on a fishing trip on the Potomac (I think). They were bow fishing and fried them up. Never had snakehead, but he claimed it to be delicious!

Very cool catch. Seeing one makes my wonder why anyone ever tried to keep one in a home aquarium.

There was an article in Amazonas a few issues ago... apparently there's a small species that works in the aquarium. Still, not my cup of tea.

JasonC

Members
Saw an episode of Bizarre Foods America where Zimmer went on a fishing trip on the Potomac (I think). They were bow fishing and fried them up. Never had snakehead, but he claimed it to be delicious!

Yeah... but some of the cr@p he's put between his cheek and gums and called delicious... I have a hard time using him as a benchmark for what a typical american would call delicious...

That being said, VA was trying really hard there for a while to convince restaurants to put "local" snakehead on the menu.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Yeah... but some of the cr@p he's put between his cheek and gums and called delicious... I have a hard time using him as a benchmark for what a typical american would call delicious...

That being said, VA was trying really hard there for a while to convince restaurants to put "local" snakehead on the menu.

LOL. True that, Jason.

daninmd

Members
you know, I kept reading the headline as "Snakehead, pretty darn tasty" not "nasty". I hear they are actually pretty tasty too.