• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Can anyone identify these guys?

BubbaJay

Members
Hey guys! New to the forum and was trying to find some info. I bought both of these guys from the LFS and both were tagged as assorted African Cichlid. The one on top, I believe to be a P. Mboso. Of course I am no expert by any means and am only going from internet research. Would like some confirmation on this. The other..... I have no idea! :-( Have tried and tried to find something on it with no luck. I do know this..... I cannot put it in with the African Cichlid.... He absolutely destroys this guy.... any help would be greatly appreciated!!!:D

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1327945102939.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1327945123968.jpg

dogofwar

CCA Members
Left one is some kind of mbuna from Lake Malawi.

Right one is some kind of Hemichromis (West African Jewel Cichlid).

Matt

BubbaJay

Members
I realized that about the jewel after seeing someones avatar. Really good looking fish. Gets along well with community fish... not so well in the cichlid tank!

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Never seen a mbuna like that before. Melanin sort of reminds me of a Melanochromis possibly? Hybrid maybe?

vinman

Members
Bubba let me tell you what that fish is. That fish comes out of Asia as Electric Blue Johanni. Now that is not a true Electric Blue Johanni ( Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos ). It is a Electric Blue Johanni or a M. Johanni crossed to a P. Elomgatus Ornatus, Likoma Island. This hybrid has been comming out of Asia for over 10 years

Here is a link below that shows pure Electric Blue Johanni ( Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos ) and the hybrid Electric Blue Johanni that comes out of Asia

http://www.google.com/search?q=elec...urce=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=QRknT8GrCorb0QHm8LHLCw

Here are 2 links to the fish used to make the Hybrid you got

http://www.wereallwet.com/electric-blue-johanni-cichlid/

Crossed to

http://www.riftforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=99&t=3660

Last edited:

BubbaJay

Members
Ahhhhh! My friend, I think you may be right! However, he does have quite a bit of yellow in him.... bad lighting in the pic... but still very possible! Pics look almost dead on him though!:thumbup:

vinman

Members
I noticed the yellow up in the shoulder area. There may be a little something Extra in him because his face is a little off and the body a little bit high. I can see the EBJ hybrid in him though.

BubbaJay

Members
Any idea how big these guys get? Or at what size a msobo would start to change? Reason I ask is because he is a good 5" right now.

vinman

Members
Mosobo start to change at around 2 inches. If it is 5 inches it has already changed its color . If it is not the Alpha male then it is not showing its full dominant color.

BubbaJay

Members
Looking less likely he is a msobo.. he's the only one in the tank of his kind. He's in with a demasoni and 3 venustus. Definitely the biggest though...