• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB Big Piece of Driftwood and Course Sand

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'm looking for a monster piece of driftwood for my 150XH. Have one sitting around or too big for your tank? Send me a pic and I might be interested...

Also, not sure if anyone has any extra coarse sand or knows a good landscape place to score some. I'm of the "less is more" philosophy when it comes to substrate so I'll probably need less than 50 lbs for the 48x24...

Thanks,
Matt

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Check with maddog on the driftwood. He had some a few months ago that I was looking at before I found a piece in monthly auction. They were really nice and would fit well in your tank.

MonteSS

Members
I have bought some nice pieces on Ebay. Look up "Ohio Driftwood". He usually has some awesome big centerpieces.

...Bill

dogofwar

CCA Members
Thanks - Mike (maddog) has some...but I'll also check with Rachel.

Scored 50 lbs of pool filter sand for about $10 at a place here in G'burg!

Matt

I caved and went to the unnamed LFS in Rockville with the outrageous prices and got a very large grapevine root thingee with a very interesting shape. It is now soaking in a big bucket. The smoke is still coming from my credit card . . . :angry:

minifoot77

Members
you might want to google grape wood and aquariums there are a lot of people that say it isn't good to use cause it will mold in your tank

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org

Umm, rather that see people blow a lot of money, I can point you to a few large log-jams on the monacacy and Potomac. I have used wood like that many times, and never harmed my fish. Boiling large driftwood is not easy, but putting it in a black plastic barrell in the sun for a few days (especially with this heat) should kill anything in the wood.

Personally I am going to start hunting the jams here soon for a very large stump I want for the 150 or 180 that is going to replace my 125.

I want one that is about 10-12 inches around, almost as tall as the tank, and has root structure that stretches at least 5 feet across the tank.

If anyone wants to come up around Frederick I can show you the log-jams that I know of.

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
I want one that is about 10-12 inches around, almost as tall as the tank, and has root structure that stretches at least 5 feet across the tank.
Rachel needs to chime in, I got something very close to this from her a few months ago. At the time she had tons, it was dark so I can't say what else she had.

Well, the graperoot also has its proponents on the Web . . . plus it's now soaking in a bucket, so I assume that means I own it. The guy at Congressional who rang me up did know what I was using it for and assured me it would sink. We'll see. It's very gnarled and cool looking and I really want it in my tank. It was less than $99, so now I'm feeling good about it! :)