• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Leaking Eheim Pro II External Canister Filter 2026

tremper

Members
Hi all, it's been awhile.

I bought a used Eheim Pro II External Canister Filter 2026 a few years ago with a tank and it's begun to develop a slow leak somewhere out of the upper portion above the canister.

The leak seems to be increasing in rapidity which makes me think it's time to do something proactive.

Not sure if I will be able to get pics to post here as that always befuddles me. The leak seems to be focused around the area where the electrical cord leaves the pump head. There is a small cavity there which is completely filled with water and seems to be the source of the slow leak. When I put a little pressure on the closing latch closest to the electrical cord there is also water which escapes.

So, a new seal perhaps? New O-rings on the inlet / outlet? Perhaps something as simple as reseating and applying vasoline to the seal around the chamber?

I've no spare parts at the moment so prefer to order before attempting a fix lest everything go completely wrong and it never seals again.

Thanks for any input!

Eheim I.jpg

Eheim II.jpg

Spine

Members
+1, yours is leaking above the o-ring that seals the motor to the canister. I'll take a look at mine and see if I can figure out any other possible leaking points

Jmty

Members
i got the bucket an the motor of a professional II eheim that may save you some trouble if that gasket don't help,pm me.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Gasket remediation

I have and ran six of these for years and the only leaks I ever encountered were with the giant O-ring between the head and the canister. Often a good coating of petroleum jelly and a re-positioning/orientation of the gasket to move the crimped/compressed areas of the gasket to different locations solved the problem. Last option before replacement is boiling the O-ring in water to try and restore its shape/volume - mixed results. Replacements sometimes available on Ebay for a little less than retail which is about $10.

Luck...

ok. vaseline trick worked. Set the whole thing up in a 5 gal bucket outside. I'll let it run for a couple of hours and see what happens. Rich_one gave me the same suggestion this past weekend. Next question is, will vaseline kill my fish? I bought a Pro3 for my 125. Is this too much filter for my 40b?

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Busted

ok. vaseline trick worked. Set the whole thing up in a 5 gal bucket outside. I'll let it run for a couple of hours and see what happens. Rich_one gave me the same suggestion this past weekend. Next question is, will vaseline kill my fish? I bought a Pro3 for my 125. Is this too much filter for my 40b?

Not a trick, and yes, I habitually recommend toxins for use in association with aquaria, small children and other creatures/ecosystems....:D

Almost no such thing as "too much filter" unless it raises issues involving excessive water movement/currents.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Who's on Guatemala?

Sam, it was Nicaragua most recently.

???

MC - To be sure, back from the highlands/volcanoes of Bolivia/Ecuador, have been re-wilding about 15 acres in Southern Indiana since March, heading for India and the monsoon next week for an indefinite time - it's all very good. Trust you are well and infuriatingly rational as ever, your wry wit notwithstanding...

:D

mchambers

Former CCA member
Excellent. Sounds like a good time.

I'm well, but probably less rational as I age. Haven't been able to convince the green lasers to reproduce successfully, however.