• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

High Tech Tank

marge618

CCA member
Hi All,
Yup! I really saw an 'automatic tank' yesterday at the GWAPA meeting. :happy0158: :confused0068:
I am not making this one up...

At 5:30 pm everyday, a computer program starts the syphon. Water leaves the tank and goes to a drain directly to the basement drain. Once the water level recedes to below the sponge in the line the 'sponge air break' effectively stops the water out phase. A computer program starts the 'water-in' and voila...about 20 min later 20% of the water has been changed. An added bonus, with such a small water change their is no need for dechlorinator. Plus the process was almost silent.

The fish like it. Often they were seen happily swimming in the water flow as it filled the tank. :animal0028: :animal0028: :animal0028: The plants were thriving. As you can imagine the water was crystal clear!

Automatic fish feeders, automatic plant feeders, automatic lights, automatic heaters, automatic CO2.. a 75 g set-up with all the options. Now automatic water changes. This is the year of designer fishtanks!

marge618

CCA member
Wish I had one of those high-tech tanks at the moment. :sign0134:

I am running back and forth (well walking) to set up and adjust the python for water changes. You know how it is. Get one tank done...then feel guilty about the next one. :wacko:

One of my new plants got sucked up :mad0259:

Ahhhh...if I had the hht system... I could pour a glass of red wine and watch the action. :happy0180:

Some people have 'tank service' to maintain their tanks. :sign0201:

Attitude adjustment: It is healthier (for the fishkeeper) to take care of their own tanks. More work = burn more calories = earn that glass of wine. :woman2:

Later,
Marge

ingg

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (marge618 @ Feb 27 2008, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Check this out

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=165678

Cichlid-forum moderator has an automatic water changing plan that seems to have cost him $20. (That may be due to the aquarium set-up he already had...)

What do you think?

Later,[/b]

Ghazanfar's 215g also does automatic water changes, as does my 180g (once I have the basement water plumbing done).

You can do it far easier and for far less than the controllers - but the controllers do serve many other functions, especially for reef or planted tank folks. The controllers measure all sorts of stuff. But simply setting up water changes is a breeze, assuming you have either a reef ready setup (like me and ghazanfar) or can set up float switches and don't mind some hardware in the tank.

marge618

CCA member
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ingg @ Feb 29 2008, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (marge618 @ Feb 27 2008, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Check this out

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=165678

Cichlid-forum moderator has an automatic water changing plan that seems to have cost him $20. (That may be due to the aquarium set-up he already had...)

What do you think?

Later,[/b]

Ghazanfar's 215g also does automatic water changes, as does my 180g (once I have the basement water plumbing done).

You can do it far easier and for far less than the controllers - but the controllers do serve many other functions, especially for reef or planted tank folks. The controllers measure all sorts of stuff. But simply setting up water changes is a breeze, assuming you have either a reef ready setup (like me and ghazanfar) or can set up float switches and don't mind some hardware in the tank.
[/b][/quote]

Dave: How interesting. I love your 180g planted tank. Watching you set it up was a blast. The 'automatic' water changes must have gone right by me.. although I do know that it was all to be 'less maintenance time'. Guess I thought that referred to the plant selection.. so you wouldn't have to trim or rearrange.

Now this sounds like something to look into for my tanks in the future... Especially if I go to MN for 6 weeks.. or travel (I wish.) Is there a basic guide for how to set up auto changes?

Later,
Marge